Recommendations for HAOS with PoE and NVMe? (And an anti-recommendation)

First, a warning: If you are looking at the Waveshare PoE UPS Base Board, I cannot recommend it. It ticked all my boxes, but the NVMe slot and fixing screw holes are physically misaligned. The SSD doesn’t work when properly installed.

To their credit, Waveshare sent a new one. The issue was less pronounced on the second one, and initially the SSD worked. I even gave the case a few good whacks just to be sure. But yesterday my HA went dark because its data drive went AWOL. Perhaps the increased temperatures/thermal cycling in my computer closet now that it’s summer? I got everything working again by wiggling the disk a bit, and fixing it at the correct angle with electrical tape and hot glue, but I’m not happy with that solution.

With that option off the table, any recommendations? My requirements are

• Powered via PoE
  • NVMe slot for an SSD
  • 3+ USB ports for my various radio dongles

The Edatec IPC3020 looks interesting, anyone got experience with that? Any other options I should consider?

Thanks!

This seems to require a board support package. You’ll need to check whether that works with HAOS.

This seems to require a board support package.

Good catch, thanks for pointing that out. I guess their claim of running “standard raspberry OS” isn’t quite true.

Well the instructions are there for rpi os, but HAOS is not rpi os

1 Like

Understood. I sort of assumed that anything that runs rpi OS without the need for custom kernels/firmware/drivers etc (which the edatec may not after all) probably has a decent chance of working well for HAOS. Maybe it’s not quite as simple?

I don’t know how board support packages work. So without some research I couldn’t say any more. I’ll leave you to do the research.

2 Likes

HAOS is based on Debian not Raspbian. Start there. And no you cannot make those assumptions.

1 Like

Sorry but HAOS is based on neither debian nor Raspbian.

It is buildroot.

Home Assistant Operating System is not based on a regular Linux distribution like Ubuntu. It is built using Buildroot and it is optimized to run Home Assistant. It targets single board compute (SBC) devices like the Raspberry Pi or ODROID but also supports x86-64 systems with UEFI.

1 Like

I stand corrected. And they still can’t assume it just works.

Yep. Of course if you can get debian running, supervised becomes an option.

1 Like

FWIW, I reached out to the manufacturer and they think it should be doable. Audio may not be working (rt5616 driver). I’m tempted to buy one and find out.

OTOH I could also try a smaller form factor SSD (2230 or 2242) as the misalignment will be less pronounced with those. Or stop mucking around and just use a VM…

I saw this today and thought you might be interested Seeed's Latest reComputer, the R1000, Turns a Raspberry Pi CM4 Into an Industrial IoT Edge Box - Hackster.io

That looks pretty sweet! One more USB port and I’d be sold :slight_smile: