Recommendations for hardwired motion sensor?

I want to set up a hallway light to be activated through motion. After doing some research on battery operated motion sensors, I ultimately decided I want to try to just run a wire from my light over a little bit to a motion sensor that’s hardwired, so I don’t have to change batteries.

Does anyone have a recommendation? I’m looking for something z-wave, or possibly zigbee (but not wifi). I don’t need huge range. Really just about 10 feet. Angle is also not a big concern. Mainly just want something with fast activation and a light sensor (ideally, although I could automate against sun position in HASS) that I can use to automate lights.

I’m in USA

What geography.

If you’re going ZWave it’s region specific so people need to know what country you’re in to make recommendations

Fair enough. I’m in the US. I updated the original post to include this too. Thanks

This is a bit expensive, but its been running great for me for years. It can be powered via USB cable, in addition to battery mode.

I second this. I have two working flawlessly since 2016. Both USB powered.

I saw that one this morning actually. It looks promising, but I’d have to get an adapter to step the voltage down. I was going to patch this into the romex I’ve got coming from the ceiling near my fixture.

The adapter is an extra cost, but that isn’t such a big deal. It’s more the space that an adapter would require. I’ve got to basically step down the 110V between the line and load coming from the romex to a 5V right?

Any tips on something small to help me do that?

Any USB wall plug.

Right. I just need to connect that to some wiring coming from my wall since I don’t have a receptacle there.

I guess I could do something like this: https://www.instructables.com/Hardwired-USB-Charger/

Basically solder some wires to the prongs on the wall adapter, insulate it, plug the motion detector in, and try to stuff it up into the ceiling, then run the USB cable out to the motion detector.

Doable, assuming I have enough space in the receptacle. I was just hoping that there’s something off the shelf that would be a little more compact, or a little bit more up to NEC :sweat_smile:

Where’s your sense of adventure?!?!?!

Honestly, I went down that rabbit hole a while back and the best I could find were little bare PCBs, some of which with sketchy designs, and none of them being UL/ETL certified (really your concern here). I’m not sure whether or not the NEC has anything specific to step down transformers in a residential setting. I presume it would be treated the same as any other end device (outlet/switch) with the requirements that it’s in a box, readily accessible, etc. I could be wrong though.

Well, every phone usb adapter is actually a step down transformer from 120 V AC to something like 5V DC. That’s not what I have doubts about. It’s more just the soldering together of components (like a phone adapter) that are meant to be outside of a wall, and sticking them into a wall. Like, does it have good enough heat dissipation? IDK.

I did find this little gizmo… I think it’s basically what I need, almost. I’d have to cut open a USB cable and take the Red and Black leads and connect to this thing. But it looks even bigger than my plug.

Just I thought. I am moving some of my motion sensors to presence sensors.
I have deployed two of the Tuya ZY-M100-L ZigBee based, ceiling-mounted version. They are powered directly by 80-250VAC
They are $20 from AliExpress and they are working fantastic for me. Very clean looking as well.
No more lights off in the kitchen if we are sitting down eating.

Here is a review: Tuya ZigBee Human Presence Sensor ZY-M100 Review - SmartHomeScene

1 Like

Put in another junction box with an outlet in it.

You’re right, that is a possibility. I’m not trying to make this a carpentry project though. There must be a device or an adapter out there :slight_smile:

What carpentry?

Then I don’t understand what you mean, sore :confused:

I think they mean to, instead of running your main line direct to near the sensor with the transformer, put in an outlet and just plug the sensor in.

I know you mentioned not wanting to deal with batteries, but have you taken a look at the ThirdReality motion sensors? Biggest advantage is that they take two AAA batteries instead of your typical coin cell. That means much longer battery life and they’re easily replaceable.