Recommendations for robust Outdoor Camera

Hello all,

Started looking on Amazon, but I’m quickly getting lost with all the choices. Looking for recommendations to buy a new IP cam with the following features:

Essentials:

• Wired Ethernet
  • Powered from 120V AC (no PoE)
  • Outside -25C rating or more
  • HD 1080P or more
  • IP Rating
  • Night vision infrared
  • Motioneye compatible

Nice to have:

• PTZ
  • Optical zoom

I currently have a Infrared 720p fixed outdoor cam that crashes when temperature dips below -15c. It was rated for -10c. I was under the impression that keeping it powered on all the time would help, but no.

I record movies on motion detection on the LAN, and use that to trigger light automations that simulates that I’m home when I’m not. I also like to watch for animals passing by.

Questions:

• Do you have a go to brand for reliability?
  • Anything to wonder to have them work with RTSP or they all work?
  • I’ve seen some cameras advertise lens such as 2.8mm and 4mm. The image above with the racoon is a little bit limit IMO, I’d like to see larger than that. What kind of lens should I look for?
  • I think I should look for a dome such as this, to avoid snow/ice forming on the cam thus preventing PTZ?
  • Anything else?

Thanks for your help!

The most reliable are probably brands like Axis or Vivotek. They’re also the more expensive ones. Other more budget friendly options are the usual Chinese ones, Dahua, Hikvision, Reolink, etc. I use Hikvision and never really had a problem with them. Then again temperatures are rarely below 0°C here, so I don’t know how well they perform in harsher climates. They claim to work down to -30°C. There are also camera enclosures with integrated heaters.

Technically RTSP will always work if the camera supports it. In practice it mostly does, but some firmware sometimes do weird things on the encoder side and that can sometimes lead to issues.

Use the IPVM camera calculator. Place your cameras on a satellite view of your home, set the camera model and parameters and see through Google streetview what your camera would see. You can adjust lenses, resolution, etc and even simulate how well you could recognize human faces at certain distances.

120/230V AC supply to a camera directly is very uncommon. Most good cameras have PoE and some will alternatively accept separate 12V power. So you need a small power supply or a PoE injector.

Thanks for your feedback, especially for the camera lens. That helped a lot to understand that with 2.8mm, I don’t really need PTZ.

I am heading towards Anpviz IPC-D383WD-S (https://www.amazon.ca/Security-Outdoor-Anpviz-Waterproof-102°Wide/dp/B0924N879H), which seems to be a Hikvision OEM product (cheaper??). Found it on aliexpress for 114$ CAD.

my go to brand has always tended to be Foscam.

I have 5 and just ordered 2 more. one to replace a 5 year old one that isn’t very high resolution and an additional outside one.

Can you comment on their cold temperature? Which models do you have that you’re satisfied with ?

I bought a FI9900P two years ago.

it got down to around 9F here last night and I had no problems with it. It doesn’t get much colder here typically but I have seen it down to around +/- 0F and the camera didn’t complain.

I just ordered a G2 yesterday so hopefully it works as good:

all the others are indoor cameras

1 Like

I am also considering powering it via PoE, as most cams don’t come with the optional 12V power supply adapter. I suspect I will have trouble finding -30C power supplies; will likely cost upwards of 20$ (no point in having a -30C cam if the power supply fails at cold).

Plus, just realized that PoE devices will be powered from my UPS, thus the camera will remain functional during a power outage.

Add small device heater

It’s placement may expose it to wind and Wind chill is lower than air temp.
Maybe even some small insulation or some wind protection could be enough

I’d expect any cam you get to have similar issue unless rated down to the -30 or lower

Just bought the Anpviz IPC-D383WD-S, specifically because it is rated all the way down to -30C. We’ll see next winter if it holds up to the expectations. Next winter because, there’s NO way I’m climbing a ladder this winter to replace it when I get it in the next few days …

In case it doesn’t work either, do you know of a off-the-shelf product that could heat a camera? If not, sounds like something that could be DIY, altho no quickly…

Hi! There are more reliable brands. All depends on your needs. Recently in our neighborhood happened more housebreakings. So, my husband and I decided to try more camera models and designs. We spent some time looking for affordable and good home security cameras. I found good offers and tutorials on multitechverse.com. After installing them, we ensured an extra layer of protection. So, during our trips, we weren’t stressed about our house’s security. I hope my advice will be helpful and suitable for your house too!

Wrap it in [reflective insulation](INSULATION MARKETPLACE SmartSHIELD -3mm 16inx10Ft ReflectiveINSULATION roll, Foam Core Radiant Barrier, ThermalINSULATION Shield - Engineered Foil https://a.co/d/6wBXFpz) if it wont be to ugly
I see that on outdoor pipes around me and realized thatbwoukd be great for jus this

I’ve been running the Anpviz IPC-D383WD-S for about a year, including night below -20c, and it’s been running solid since then.