Recommendations for setup for wall mounted Android tablet (4.0 IceCream Sandwich)

Hi everyone,

I have just found a really cheap old tablet that I would like to put on the wall as an interface for HA.

Can anyone recommend any apps that would run on Android 4.0 to allow me to use it in some sort of a kiosk mode?

I would like to be able to show an interface. Dim and turn on and off the screen if possible. (I would turn it on when my PIR sensor detects movement)

I see quite a few options but most require newer versions of Android :frowning:

Will Fully Kiosk Browser work on that device?

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation. From the documentation I am not completely sure it may be that certain features dont work or just that no features work. I haven’t got the tablet yet, hopefully picking it up tomorrow so I will test and see how I go :slight_smile:

Beware - Fully Kiosk doesn’t work with Android <5:

Oh, thanks for the headsup :frowning:

Does Ariela still run on that version of Android? @Ionut
You could use that if it does.

Minimum version of Android in order to run Ariela is 4.1

I am very happy with wallpanel, it might work but if I didn’t get it wrong you have to use an older version.

• Android Device running Android OS 4.1 or greater. Note: Android 4.0 devices use WebView to render webpages, The WebView shipped with Android 4.4 (KitKat) is based on the same code as Chrome for Android version 30. This WebView does not have full feature parity with Chrome for Android and is given the version number 30.0.0.0. If you have issues with Android 4.0 devices, you may want to use the legacyversion of the application.
1 Like

I’ve got fully kiosk browser running on a Fire7 Tablet and it’s working just fine. Not sure what the limitations are, but no problems here.

Hi Everyone,

I haven’t been able to find anything that supports Android 4.0 :frowning:

If your looking for a tablet make sure it supports at least android 4.1

1 Like

@kiwinol perhaps you can check PostmarketOS. They had some half working builds but sometimes enough for just running a firefox or chrome.

I got a fire hd tablet but interesting project