Recommendations Zigbee Smart Plug (UK) w/ Energy Monitoring

Can I get some suggestions please for UK (3pin) style Smart Plugs with Energy Monitoring AND Zigbee. I’ve been scanning Amazon & AliExpress but they all seem to be one or the other, not both.

I found a reasonable pack on AliExpress, but then before paying decided on a little research. According to TrustPilot, AE are pretty dire at delivering goods - let alone refunds in case of problems, so I ducked out at the last moment. However, I’ve been a happy customer of Amazon for several years without issue. On the rare occasion where products have been problematic, Amazon have resolved the issue promptly, hence, I would by far prefer to buy there than AE.

1 Like

Have a look here… these are also z2m compat.
Zigbee2MQTT

1 Like

I think this Frient plug from Amazon is the Develco SPLZB-134, bit expensive maybe. I’ve bought lots of stuff from Ali Express in the past, never any real issues that haven’t been resolved … eventually. However it can take a long time for delivery if you choose the cheapest route, and issues will take time and persistence to resolve (financially). The usual mantras apply - ‘you get what you pay for’ and ‘never pay more than you’d be prepared to lose’

And please note: It’s been reported by several people that the new Tuya plug randomly turns off. Tuya TS011F (TZ3000_typdpbpg) powers off · Issue #11648 · Koenkk/zigbee2mqtt · GitHub :wink:

im too interested in this…

Smart Things plugs are readily available and have energy monitoring. I have a couple of them and have had them working with ZHA and now with Z2M.

They used to be about £15-20, looks like price has shot up since I purchased them.

1 Like

Yes the smartthings plugs are great.
Good quality. Quite small. Responsive with rock solid LQI, and as needed they have power monitoring.
Just a shame they are more expensive now.

Also Salus supports energy according to z2m docs: Salus Controls SP600 control via MQTT | Zigbee2MQTT

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Salus-SP600-Smart-Plug-White/dp/B0743CTGJ6

I’ve recently bought 4 of these which are substantially cheaper (half the price) than the alternatives:

They paired with Home Assistant using Zigbee2mqtt without any difficulty (I use the RPi distribution and a Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus) and were recognised devices.
They appear as these (TuYa) devices: TuYa TS011F_plug_3 control via MQTT | Zigbee2MQTT
With the default Zigbee2mqtt setup (which may include some polling because of the newer TuYa firmware in the plug) I am getting all of switch (state), power, current, voltage, energy, power_outage_memory, indicator_mode, lock (state), linkquality exposed.

As a bonus, according to the Zigbee2mqtt Map, my Aqara door sensors and motion sensors appear to be routing quite happily through these plug sockets.

[EDIT: The price has gone up significantly, and the excellent value 4-pack is no longer available]

2 Likes

That’s a good price, ordered, thanks

Any issues with them switching off if voltage hits 250VAC?
I read in this thread and in amazon reviews that even with most recent firmware its a problem.
My UPS tells me my mains voltage is currently 246V so seems a small spike could cause the issue.

Received mine yesterday, all working fine. My voltage is showing between 241 and 244V so OK so far, I’ll report if it goes over 250V and cuts off

Yep, I’ve ordered a 4 pack too… only using 2 at the moment but they seem good.

Hi, whilst the zigbee2mqtt state shows that voltage is being reported (about 234V in my case) it is doesn’t show in the MQTT broker as an entity, so it isn’t being recorded (a graph would quickly show if I’d had a voltage spike over 250V).
Anyone know the best way to set this up so voltage can be recorded and graphed?
Ben

Voltage shows up as an entity in HA for me, is it disabled in HA ?

1 Like

Yes :slight_smile: It was disabled (along with current and other stuff, I only had power and energy as enabled entities on all devices – which is all I was after). Enabled now. I’ll check voltage after a few days to see if any spike over 250, although they’re all in the low to mid 230s just now. Thanks for the tip, spot on.

I bought these (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004519562623.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.1e391802hpDUEY) which are also detected as TuYa TS011F_plug_3 control via MQTT | Zigbee2MQTT.

They seem fine. No problems so far. Plausible outputs. Except that the total energy sensor just reports “null”, so I have to set-up a separate integration helper in HA to monitor energy consumption. Not a big deal but also a bit annoying. Might actually be better since you’re relying on HA to remember the state.

Firmware build reports as 20210625, so I wonder if there’s a newer version somewhere.

I had to wait an hour or so for the energy sensor to have a value

@Holdestmade , it’s been a few weeks! I’ve even tried the factory reset command: #reset energy | Zigbee2MQTT.

Ah, sorry I was commenting on the devices above, didn’t spot you found a different device. Not sure how its possible to have a 20A rating though in a 13A outlet, anything plugged into it will have a max 13A fuse