Recommended hackable UK WiFi LED bulbs (B22/E27 fitting)

I’ve been looking for some cheapish plug in / screw in type WiFi bulbs (B22/E27 fitting) that I can get working with Home Assistant.

I’ve an Elec Eng and happy to do a bit of soldering / flashing firmware via FTDI etc. I’ve seen EspEasy which looks good but happy to try something else if the integration between HA and the bulb works.

Any recommendations for type of bulb and firmware used for integration with Home Assistant?

Thanks!

Mark

1 Like

Try the Sonoff B1 you can flash it with tasmota firmware so should be easy to control it with HA

1 Like

Brill thanks!

There are some B22s here, but not sure if hackable

1 Like

Btw the Sonoff B1 bulbs only seem to be in E27 type connector.

My search continues…

Update!

I think I may have found exactly what I’ve been looking for.

Just discovered a brand called “SPARIN” see:

Which looking at the images on Amazon seem to have the same LED circuit / board layout as the AiLight / AiThinker type bulbs but come in various different fittings.

I’m hoping too that I’ll be able to use this jig I purchased off Etsy a while ago so no soldering needed:

I’ll report back when it arrives…

From the photo it looked wrong for the jig, but then I realised that the photo is a mirror image!

1 Like

Yes so hopefully looks the like same led board, just hope the case is the same so the jig will fit. I’ll post again when it turns up and confirm with pictures but finally this looks great as they do lots of different fittings and (if!) the jig fits would be easy and cheap to make work with HA.

Btw ESPurna seems to be the easiest firmware to setup and also get working with HA for these types of bulbs

I’d use ailight myself.

1 Like

The Jig may work as indeed the PCB seems to be the same as the AiThinker one. However, I am not sure about the aluminium casing. It is somewhat different from the AiThinker one, which also can mean that the diameter is different.

1 Like

I’d like to use the ai-thinker one too but finding someone who sells them and also in the different UK light fittings means this is hard.

Espurna is kind of a one size fits all solution and works great. My AiLight firmware is a bit more simplistic in terms that it only serves as firmware for these type of light bulbs and able to control them (via a browser, MQTT, HomeAssistant, REST API).

Cheers! Sacha

1 Like

Well guess what!!

The bulb works perfectly and the jig fits too !

Great news! I’ve been following this to see if the bulbs worked as I’ve had them sitting in my HA shopping list for a while after I messed up a different bulb soldering the wires on while waiting for the jig to turn up as I was impatient!

How easy was it to get the case off this bulb? I really struggled to get the case off the previous bulb and ended up snapping a bit off it as I think it was glued on.

Cheers, Boardy

It is hard to get the top off but I just used both my hands and was firm