Recommended hardware button/switch to trigger HA?

Hi, does anyone have recommendations of a physical button/switch to trigger automation/interactions in HA?

To detail my needs: I have three separate sets of under- and in- cabinet lighting in my kitchen. The wiring looks like I can add a Shelly 1 to each one. I then would like to have one switch control all the lighting at once, while also maintaining individual light control with the original switches (via the Shelly).

Battery or mains powered?

DIY or off the shelf?

What part of the world are you in if you want a wall switch plate to match the standard size used in your country?

Can you use the switch on one of the Shelly’s to automate turning on the others or will it be too inaccessible?

Do you already have ZigBee or zwave devices etc.?

Thanks for your reply! I guess I missed some information sorry.

Battery powered ideally. There’s a plug socket nearby. The Shelly’s will be on top of the cabinets and behind a 12V Led driver. I could bring a 12V cable or even a mains cable down from the cabinet to the switch if needed, but preferably not.
For the button, it would preferably be off the shelf. Can do DIY if that’s the best way (this is a hobby project after all…)
I’m based in the UK

No none. But I eventually want to expand my smart lights (I have some hue bulbs currently). So I could get into that ecosystem

Hue utilise ZigBee, so a ZigBee button could be an option. I have some tradfri on/off switches that serve this purpose.

Do I need a new hub for this? (I have a hue hub already). If so, any recommendations?

I don’t have a hue hub, but you may be able to pair a tradfri switch with it.
I have a conbee stick, which replaces the tradfri or hue hub and integrates nicely with ha.

These hue hub compatible switches don’t require batteries or have to be wired in (they work from the kinetic energy of the switch press):

Not exactly cheap though.

Shelly do a wireless button if you don’t want to go through the zigbee route… Haven’t tried it myself, but wifi is a bit tricky to do on battery power.

I do most of my switching through wemos d1 boards and ESPHome. These are inside the light switch enclosures, so they appear to the user as regular mains light switches.

1 Like

I like Shelly stuff and think they should be supported whenever possible due to their commitment to providing local control.

The Button 1 has the option of being powered from USB. So if you plug a USB adaptor into the nearby wall outlet you will have instantaneous response as it is always on. Using battery… it’s going to be laggy. Takes a few seconds for the device to wake up and connect to wifi.

1 Like

Ah I hadn’t realised they did a button. I might try that. Cheaper than the hue button but a bit more expensive than a tradfri button. There is a nearby plug so usb could work.

Something to think on anyway. I’m open to ZigBee as I find the Hue stuff very expensive and I’d like to move to more open, flexible systems.

1 Like

I really love the Hank 4 button z-wave controller for this kind of things. 4 buttons with 3 different possible actions per buttons give 12 triggers in one tiny device…

afbeelding

I’ve looked at the Hank, but couldn’t quite figure out how it hooks into Home Assistant. Can you tell us what you used in terms of integrations, etc. to get that done?
Thanks.
I’m currently using a Sonoff SONOFF SNZB-01(hooked in through my Smartthings hub. I’m not recommending that method :slight_smile: ) I’d much prefer the multiple button possibilities of the Hank.

All needed info here: https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/z-wave/device-specific/
There is a specific Hank part on that page

1 Like