Recorder and Long-term Statistics not working

I am re-formatting my initial post to make it hopefully easier to digest. I apologies in advance for the wall of text, but the situation is quite complex. :frowning:

Hi All, I need some help with figuring out what is exactly happening in my instance with regards to History / Recorder / LTS.

I made a topic earlier here asking for help with my Energy Dashboard: despite how things are set up (seemingly correctly), the Energy Dashboard could not access data older than 1-2 weeks.

Today morning, I saw that my DB size shrunk from around 600 MB to 6 MB only. I believe this is the result of the auto-purge and repack HA does every 2nd Sunday as per the description in Recorder - Home Assistant (home-assistant.io). I immediately checked the sensor histories, statistics and sure enough, they are all gone, the data in the Energy Dashboard included.

DB size

Statistics graph card

Interestingly enough a few Apex charts I configured can still access some of the data from earlier, not sure why or how - though even here I can tell that the November values have changed whereas earlier it included data from the 25th, now it only includes data from the 27th.

Apex cards

You can read my detailed problem statement with regards to the energy dashboard in the above linked topic. As far as I could understand the Dashboard has been set up correctly, the configured entities are all set up with the right parameter (device class, state class etc.)

Entities - Developer Tools

This is how my recorder is set up - I thought if I don’t configure it otherwise, even the auto purge that HA does every now and then would leave 10 days of sensor history data and entities that qualify for LTS (energy devices etc.) would be saved in LTS. It is not happening for some reason.

Initial Recorder configuration
recorder:
  exclude:
    domains:
      - device_tracker
      - media_player
    entities:
      - camera.doorbell_sub
      - camera.front_door_main
      - camera.front_door_sub
      - camera.garage_sub
      - sensor.memory_free
      - sensor.memory_use_percent
      - sensor.processor_use
      - sensor.ble_mac_50765cb7d9ea4e2199a4fa879613a492

Since I kept losing data, I changed the Recorder settings to include a huge keep_days interval. Since then my DB size has skyrocketed, but I was expecting this to happen.

DB size with new recorder settings

New Recorder configuration
### Recorder ####
recorder:
  purge_keep_days: 730
  exclude:
    domains:
      - device_tracker
      - media_player
      - camera
    entity_globs:
      - binary_sensor.doorbell_*
      - binary_sensor.front_door_*
      - binary_sensor.garage_*
    entities:
      - sensor.memory_free
      - sensor.memory_use_percent
      - sensor.processor_use
      - sensor.ble_mac_50765cb7d9ea4e2199a4fa879613a492
      - sensor.p1_meter_wi_fi_strength
      - sendor.media_center_power
      - sensor.p1_meter_active_power
      - sensor.nobo_device_temperature

The SQLite table shows data that goes back only till the 10th of December - exact correlation with what I see in the sensor history view in the UI. There are only 57 rows, so certainly not in the range of anything in the Statistics-realm. This is I think the source of the problem - I would expect statistics to be stored going back before the 10th even with the initial and especially with the new recorder settings.

SQLite Statistics

HA OS details
  • Core2023.11.3
  • Supervisor2023.11.6
  • Operating System11.2
  • Frontend20231030.2

Could you help me figure out what is happening? It is as if a full wipe took place on the 10th of December at 4:12 in the morning and there is no LTS or any kind of Statistics available at all in the system.

Are you focusing on the “statistics graph card” here?
Despite the name, I’m not sure that card actually use long-term statistics, while apex can, by instance.

As of 2023.12, the plain history also display long-term statisitics, so you can use that for a proper assertion:

I am basically comparing the Energy Dashboard, the Statistics graph card and Apex, all with the same sensors. I am also trying to find an explanation for the data purge that occurred this morning. I was under the impression that the recorder keeps a default 10 days of history, unless manually configured otherwise.

My understanding is that from a data retention perspective: Energy Dashboard = Apex charts (both using LTS) > Statistics cards (using Statistics) > History tab for each entity

But this is what I see: Apex charts > Energy Dashboard = Statistics cards = History of individual entity

I will try the new release again, when I installed it the first time it messed up all my sensor names, so most of my dashboard, automations had to be rewritten. I ended up doing a rollback.

Apologies for the repeated posts; I tried my best to clean up the initial post making it hopefully easier to digest. Bumping the thread to get more visibility and hopefully the attention of someone who could potentially help. Thanks a lot in advance! :slight_smile:

In case anyone comes across this post, this is the conclusion: turns out the DB got corrupted (did some more reading on this and turns out this is not an uncommon issue with Virtual Machines and/or in case of power cuts), so I ended up starting from scratch and migrating to MariaDB.