Recorder best practice

Hi guys, please bear with me. I’ve started using HA last week so some things are not quite clear to me. Int his case, I didn’t find good answers using the search.

I’m running the “full fledged” Home Assistant on a Raspberry Pi 3 using the built-in SQlite db for everything concerning “recorder”. From what I’ve read (and understood) so far, it’s not necessary for HA to keep this information forever for most of the things. My plan is now to have an Influx DB running on my Synology and have statistical data that I’d like to keep being fed into that and presented by Grafana (also running on the NAS).

This leads to three questions:

1. Are there any “standard” things like “sun” that I can exclude right from the start to be fed into SQLite?
  2. Is there a “good” value how many days to be kept locally regarding the scenario described above?
  3. Is the approach to have statistical data logged to InfluxDB considered “best pratice”? At least I’ve seen a few running similar setups in here.

Thanks for giving me ideas about that! :love_you_gesture:

1. There’s no need to keep a history of time and date sensors. Always a good one to exclude. I exclude pretty much everything I don’t have a graph for in the front end.
  2. Up to you. 3 to 7 days is what most people run with
  3. For long term (months to years) data analysis, yes.