Recurring Issue with an unresponsive frontend

I have been having an issue for a while where randomly when I try to load Home Assistant on my phone I get stuck at the “Loading Data” screen. Also, I use GPS Logger (Android) to track myself and there are many polls throughout the day that time out. This is resulting in delayed/skipped automations and the inability to open the frontend at random times. While the issue is occurring I can remote to my home computer and get on the frontend without issue. I can even get in from another phone (new login). This is not an issue with my data connection as I run a constant ping to my house and I’m usually actively using data. Today it was happening on my ten minute walk home. The last few minutes of the walk I couldn’t load the frontend on my primary phone and GPS Logger was timing out each time it tried to send an update. During this time I was able to get to the frontend using my work phone. The second my phone switched to wifi when I got to my house I was able to load the frontend and GPS Logger was able to submit a poll. This issue is driving me crazy and I’m not exactly sure how to troubleshoot it.

I seem to have narrowed this down to an issue with the IP ban configuration. Even though the IP I am coming from each time hasn’t been banned it is somehow causing this issue. I turned off IP ban yesterday and so far I haven’t had this issue for the first time in many months.

Are you running nginx with DDNS? When you’re home, you’re on your home network and when away, you’re not?

If so, just drag down in the app to reload.

I am just running a standard HassIO build, nothing extra. This has nothing to do with reloading…

Home Assistant was actively blocking the HTTP requests coming from my GPSLogger app when I was not on my home network. It was 100% and was sporadic, but has become a big issue. After turning off the IP ban function it has gone away. IP ban is not working as it should.

It does if you switch between home and cell network with nginx, which is why I was asking. Sorry for asking. Good luck.

By ‘this’ I meant my issue. The primary issue is with the GPSLogger app polling Home Assistant.

So far so good with disabling IP ban, but I’d like to figure out why this was causing an issue.