Reducing updates from LYWSDCGQ bluetooth device

So recently got my hands on a esp32 and got the new proxy working in homeassistant. I quite literally plugged in a usb cable to the esp32, connected to my pc and hit connect via the bluetooth proxy page. Then did the adoption in esphome on homeassistant. My LYWSDCGQ was immediately picked up and streaming updates to HA. What a breeze! Thanks to devs who made this, the easier it is to use software, the more work that goes into developing it, cheers!
Anyway, just to say if you are finding that the update frequency is too high in HA for bluetooth devices via proxy, this can be handled using a filter.
Found the “throttle” filter to work very well. You can skip x number of updates per a given window. So lets say you get 10 updates a minute, you can set it to 10% to get 1 update in that minute window.
Here’s my config:

- platform: filter
    name: "landing temp throttle"
    unique_id: filterlandingthrottle
    entity_id: sensor.landing_temperature
    filters:
      - filter: throttle
        window_size: 10 # 10% of updates 1/0.1
        precision: 1

I would imagine this (esp32 proxy) will become an active (rather than a passive adapter) going forward at some stage. But until then, this works fine for me.

1 Like

With my LYWSD03MMC devices, I adjusted the announcement intervals (to reduce the amount of RF pollution) to:

5000ms x 24 - announce the device every 5 seconds, then transmit readings every 2 minutes.

… via the Telink flasher.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll see if LYWSDCGQ can be flashed

It can, check here

It is not possible with the LYWSDCGQ

and

Ah! Didn’t check the model number closely enough, thanks for the correction!