Refining the awesome area card

Great Ideas in this thread! This card is already great and has taken a prominent position in my wall mount dashboard - looking forward to more things. I’ll add +1 for humidity, and at the risk of feature creep, it’d be great to have some minor style options, specifically reducing opacity on the backgrounds so they’re not quite so… in your face!

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions! Keep them coming. We will definitely take a look at what to put in next

2 Likes

to +1 you must click the VOTE button at the top of page, please.

there is a vote button in every thread in the Feature Request Section of the forums here.

Just to chip in, Climate and Media entities would be useful too.

1 Like

Agree with all of you! Awesome if we just could add some more features to it…

I would also like to see the possibility to add electrical consumption in each room. Just like shelly do in their own app.

2 Likes

I was really hoping to see an update with the Feb release…
Love the work you did in the Dec release, hoping to see more great work!

I agree :+1:

It could also just be a card with fields for each corner, top center and bottom center that we can fill with entities we like… But would auto populate these fieds on first creation of the card.

1 Like

Two things I think are really important.

1. With the new Switch as X integration, I have some switches faked as lights. The original switch entities are clearly set to hidden within my configuration as the integration specifies, yet unfortunately they seem to show up in these area cards :/. Hopefully this is an easy one to fix.

2. While not useless as is, I think it would be MUCH more useful if for the entity type icons (i.e. switch, light,etc) that instead of simply turning all of that type on or off in that area when clicked on, instead it brought up a pop-up window that is essentially the same as the “Entities Card” and shows all of that entity. So that for example, I can click the Light icon under “Kitchen” and then individually control the three light entities I have in that area (main, recessed, and bar). It would also have the “header” switch that the Entities Card does so you can turn them all on and off easily.

An alternative could be that you can simply click in the main body of the card and that brings up a list of all entities in that area period. I was originally going to create Dashboard tab for each area in my home, or maybe look into crazy YAML configurations for cards (but I’d rather not at this stage), but if this functionality was added these cards would be a super slick way to have fine control over each area, while initially being presented in a minimalistic way.

Not sure if I should file these on the GitHub page for the project or something.

4 Likes

With the new subview option the area card can be used for a really nice looking and easy to setup dashboard.

i hope you can implement all the great ideas from this topic to the area card.
would love to see windows, doors, water leak, media players, climate, locks and vacuums.

also the possibility to choose an icon instead of an image woud be nice.

nice work!

3 Likes

I would love the area card to be more customizable.

• show more entity types (cover, media player etc)
  • change the collie
  • add an icon
  • change the way temp/humid are formatted
2 Likes

+1
So many great Ideas!

I would love to have the option to select the “power” entity as smart plugs use the current power draw as power and accumulative power draw as energy

The ability to exclude/choose what to show on this card would be great!

2 Likes

With the latest 2024.4 release and a focus on organisation in areas then I would +1 all of the suggestions on here. Great way to make a simple dashboard and sub-views for each area but most critical is the ability to remove entities (switches in my case) that I really don’t want turned off.

Ability to select which area entities to appear on the card would be great without having to remove entities from areas which would be deceiving the object.

Its a great concept - just a couple of steps short of being really usable.

Found a work-around. Looks like by hiding the entity in entity settings it no longer appears on the area card but is still available when added directly to a dashboard.

1 Like

I love the area card for its power to show a lot of information packed in a simple and nice lay-out. Unfortunately for me it’s not useful, I really miss the ability to customize the card. I tried to recreate the card with custom CSS. It enables you to integrate any information you want in the card. Hope this can be of use to some.

The code can be found here: Customisable Area Card with custom CSS

Normal card:

Small viewport size:

1 Like

+1, being able to customise the area more, would be a nice addition.

I love the effort you have put into this card! The only part that is missing for me and I cannot figure it out, is I love how normal Area cards show the motion icon if there is occupancy in the room, I tried to add it but I am terrible with YAML and CSS. If anyone figures this out I would much appreciate knowing how to do it.

Would love to be able to exclude devices from showing up automatically. Upvoted.