Refining the awesome area card

The new area card is simply awesome!

Would be great if also the following entity types wil show up:

• door/window
  • flood
  • humidity
  • cover

Now, all light and switch entities will appear and there is no way to exclude items. Could it be possible to exclude ertain entities from showing up in the card?

+1, very nice new feature but missing these !

1 Like

this needs to go up :slight_smile:

this card has the potential to replace lots of ā€˜start screensā€™
but turning of my freezer isnā€™t something i want to do with 1 click on a default card :slight_smile:

7 Likes

What I would like to see, is the option of clicking the area card and a auto generated lovelace shows up with the entities in this area. Instead of creating this on my own and add it as a navigation path when clicking on the area card.

3 Likes

It would be awesome if you could modify the icon of the entities. For example I have a switch for turning on my coffee machine and I would love for it to be available in the Area card (separated from all the others switches) and with the Coffe machine icon chosen for that entity.

This is going to be the hottest feature/card of the dashboard in a couple of months! It brings areas to life.

Refining this and allowing for greater customization (I love h3rb3rtā€™s idea of auto-generated list). Allowing for additional device types such as lux, door, humidity would be spectacular.

What about situations where there are multiple sensors (say temp) in a room, will it take a mean, or just pick one?

would also love an icon for media playback if any media_device is playing in area,
and lock entities!

4 Likes

@zsarnett - was the last dev to work on the area card

1 Like

i have found a way to ā€œexcludeā€ items. just remove the device, or entity from the area

go to the entitiy, settings panel, advanced settings dropdown, change device area, new popup, hit X beside the area to remove, then update, update. sometimes the UPDATE button is missing HIT ENTER on keyboard.

I had to remove some switches that were lights, and switches that were fans.
created template fan.fans from the switch.fans, and light.lights, from switch.lights added them to the area.

configuration.yaml to turn switch.master_bedroom_fan into fan.master_bedroom_window

fan:
  -  platform: template
     fans:
      master_bedroom_window:
        friendly_name: "Master Bedroom Fan"
        unique_id: 3df435serfe744vdg
        value_template: "{{ states('switch.master_bedroom_fan') }}"
        turn_on:
          service: homeassistant.turn_on
          entity_id: switch.master_bedroom_fan
        turn_off:
          service: homeassistant.turn_off
          entity_id: switch.master_bedroom_fan

I also would love to be able to exclude certain devices/entities from the card. I have two temperature sensors in one room. The one is for the room and the other one is in a keezer, and this one shows up in the card. This one does not really represent the room.

Otherwise, I really like the new Area card.

I would like the card to show media players aswell.

Great Ideas in this thread! This card is already great and has taken a prominent position in my wall mount dashboard - looking forward to more things. Iā€™ll add +1 for humidity, and at the risk of feature creep, itā€™d be great to have some minor style options, specifically reducing opacity on the backgrounds so theyā€™re not quite soā€¦ in your face!

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions! Keep them coming. We will definitely take a look at what to put in next

2 Likes

to +1 you must click the VOTE button at the top of page, please.

there is a vote button in every thread in the Feature Request Section of the forums here.

Just to chip in, Climate and Media entities would be useful too.

1 Like

Agree with all of you! Awesome if we just could add some more features to itā€¦

I would also like to see the possibility to add electrical consumption in each room. Just like shelly do in their own app.

2 Likes

I was really hoping to see an update with the Feb releaseā€¦
Love the work you did in the Dec release, hoping to see more great work!

I agree :+1:

It could also just be a card with fields for each corner, top center and bottom center that we can fill with entities we likeā€¦ But would auto populate these fieds on first creation of the card.

1 Like

Two things I think are really important.

1. With the new Switch as X integration, I have some switches faked as lights. The original switch entities are clearly set to hidden within my configuration as the integration specifies, yet unfortunately they seem to show up in these area cards :/. Hopefully this is an easy one to fix.

2. While not useless as is, I think it would be MUCH more useful if for the entity type icons (i.e. switch, light,etc) that instead of simply turning all of that type on or off in that area when clicked on, instead it brought up a pop-up window that is essentially the same as the ā€œEntities Cardā€ and shows all of that entity. So that for example, I can click the Light icon under ā€œKitchenā€ and then individually control the three light entities I have in that area (main, recessed, and bar). It would also have the ā€œheaderā€ switch that the Entities Card does so you can turn them all on and off easily.

An alternative could be that you can simply click in the main body of the card and that brings up a list of all entities in that area period. I was originally going to create Dashboard tab for each area in my home, or maybe look into crazy YAML configurations for cards (but Iā€™d rather not at this stage), but if this functionality was added these cards would be a super slick way to have fine control over each area, while initially being presented in a minimalistic way.

Not sure if I should file these on the GitHub page for the project or something.

4 Likes