Regarding NUT Network UPS Tools Integration

Hello,

I’m considering buying a cheap UPS (SPS ONE 700VA) just to keep HA alive through the mini power outages that my house has.

While browsing for ways to get HA to read it’s current battery level, I came across the integration NUT Network UPS Tools.

My question is: Can I connect the UPS’ USB cable directly to my NUC that’s running HAOS or do I need another RPi or so to act as a network server for this integration?

Thanks!

Hello,

I am sure others on the forums can offer more than what I can here, but I have my HA on a dedicated HP thin client desktop after initially starting out with a VDI running on my main computer. The UPS is direct connected via the USB cable to the HP Thin Client. You will need to install the NUT add-on and then the integration to get the entities. As far as make and if its supported I think most are, but I had one small CyberPower that I could not get to work. This video is a great reference. Reviewed it several times.

1 Like

I am really interested in this. I tried following along and installing NUT on one of my Pi-Hole servers using USB and it did not work out too well. The installation would not allow me to run “sudo nut-scanner -U” so I could not continue on past the installation. When it installed, I got the error “Failed to start Network UPS Tools - power device monitor and shutdown controller.”

This is probably not the best place to post this since it is really not about HA.

1 Like

Yes that is what the NUT addon expects. Once you have the addon connected to your UPS you can then set up the NUT integration in home assistant to create the sensors and services.

1 Like

So, just to be clear: The NUT addon will act as the server and then the integration will connect to said server, both running inside my HAOS. Correct?

Correct.