Reinstate Tesla integration

The tesla integration was removed in #55988 due to login issues.
Since then things have changed for the better. Tesla has now officially opened up their API for 3rd parties.

It would be great if this integration could be re-added to HA as an official integration.

I second this request

What is wrong with the even better and more active custom integration (available via HACS, etc.)?

1 Like

Yep, the custom component works.

Nothing is wrong with it, but that isnā€™t the point.
The integration was removed because the HA (rightfully) doesnā€™t want to have integrations based on reverse engineered APIs in the core.
This reason no longer applies to the Tesla API since it is now public.

For each integration in the core one could argue that it should be in HACS and not in core etcā€¦ However, in general HA does want car integrations, evidenced by the 15 integrations currently in the core.
And if that is the case, why not merge the Tesla integration back into the core?

1 Like

Why not post in the issues of the authorā€™s github and suggest it.

1 Like

Itā€™s not going to be straightforward but I think I could do this as I have written a python library for the new fleet API.

4 Likes

The Tessie integration in 2024.1 may interest you.

Oh it may interest me a lot. Iā€™m the code owner.

4 Likes

Lol, I wasnā€™t aware of that. Good work.

we need more votes on that - i need a working tesla integration not only with status but beeing able to send commands via a button press in homeassist like turn on AC or open garage door via homelink

Voted. Looking forward to a real API.

Hi Brett, so just checking, Tessie uses new Tesla API?

Iā€™m using Tessieā€™s new direct telemetry option which Iā€™m quite sure is the new Tesla fleet api: Direct Telemetry - Help Center - Tessie. The Tessie integration with home assistant is great, but it would be nice to have something direct from Tesla to HA.

The Tessie Integration currently uses the existing Tessie API, but in the future I may use Tessie Fleet API proxy, since that would make it nearly identical to Teslemetry which I also maintain.

2 Likes

Direct to Home Assistant isnā€™t entirely possible due to the Command Signing requirements. You can run the command proxy in a docker container, but you can also pay someone else to manage all that for you, like Tessie and Teslemetry.

Fleet Teslemetry is sort of part of Fleet API, sort of seperate. Tessie uses it for battery data, but my service Teslemetry can be configured however you want and sends the data to Home Assistant too.

@Brett_Adams I love your app and integration with HA for my car. Any plans to support Tesla Solar/Energy features in Tessie? Tesla added support in their new API for Solar and Powerwall.

Can we stay here with the topic at hand, a reinstatement of the Tesla integration into core, please? :slight_smile: If questions about other integrations come up, why not ask them in the corresponding thread? :slight_smile:

I mean, with another integaration spoken about, we divert votes away from this FR, donā€™t we?

Thanks guys, much appreciated! :+1:

1 Like

Agreed, my apologies. Happy to move my post to another thread related to the Tessie integration, not sure if this is possible by me or moderators.

Iā€™m bringing Tesla back to core.

5 Likes