Reliability Concerns and the Efficiency of Home Assistant Backups

All backups are not hardware dependant so you can restore to any hardware.

That way all sounds a bit complex to me.

Just start with a fresh install and when you see the landing / onboarding page. The first picture on this page

Then just click restore from backup, it will then allow you to pick your backup file, then depending on the size of you HA install or speed of your hardware wait between 20 minutes to an hour and refresh the page. If still not done wait a bit longer.

Remember if you have set secure access (https) you will need to enter a different address in the browser.

This was the first approach I followed but after some time this message appeared

So did it run out of space to store the backup or was it a network problem?

Are you trying to do this over wifi? Do you have plenty of storage where you are installing HA. It will need a minimum of 32gb, but I would allow double that or more. My proxmox VM is running 72gb storage, and I have to keep a check on the backup files stored locally.

Good idea! I will try to increase the VM storage

It works! Thanks

Never mind, it seemed he had left but then I realized that many integrations had not been loaded.

At last, I managed to restore the backup file by increasing the storage space of the VM to 256 GB.

Unfortunaley there are still some add-ons that are not working, for example ESPHome.
All current projects are running well

but if I open ESPHome I see this message: ‘The add-on is not running. Do you want to start it now?’ If I try to start it, the process doesn’t start.”

Even if I go to ‘Add-ons’ and try to start ESPHome, it doesn’t start.

I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, but it still doesn’t work.

Unfortunately I have the same problem in most of the add-ons.

Any idea on how to solve this issue?

Add-ons that do not start after a restore from backup: reboot the machine or vm. A restart of HA is not enough.

Done and now working well.
Thanks!
The only problem I still have is on Frigate.
Frigate is running on a docker on the same NAS where HA OS is running but I have the following error message

Solved: the mqtt address in frigate config was not updated (was still the Rpi one)

mqtt:
 host: 192.168.1.xx #core-mosquitto
 port: 1883
 user: ....
 password: ...