Reliable and cheap door/window sensors

This is on my (ever growing) list of things to do.
Since the new DrZzz video this week it has gone higher up the list (his original video on it made the setup process look a bit flaky)…

I’d be interested in more details, particularly what sensors you use. Your mix of quoting USD and GBP doesn’t make it clear if you are in the UK or US :slight_smile:.

And an easy question to start with, how long do the batteries last?

These devices can not be connected to the hub, these are Wifi devices.

That signal strength is pretty good, I would be interested to know if you can ping the Xiaomi Gateway when you experience the all devices unavailable and can ping others this will tell us if there is an issue with the Gateway connection to your network or the wireless network itself. I know UBNT have issues with large numbers of connected clients they tend to just throw clients off randomly as the cup gets to full.

Only have about 12 devices or less on the WiFi.

The problem is that home assistant doesn’t recovery from a network issue or gateway issue so if i ping the gateway after stuff goes unavailable then it’s fine art that point in time.

My suggestion is to go with the Tasmotta sketch. Connect the 4 pins to the board and flash. Not much to it.

Im using these Pirs.

Very good quality, hard plastic good range. Been running on same battery 9 months now.

I use this door/window sensors.

They provide on and off signal. Same battery length thus far.

Im in Dubai, so I get a mix of bits from UK, US and China. :wink:

1 Like

I have just bought some WiFi door / window sensors off eBay for £9.10 each.

Search for NAS-DS01W although I don’t know what they are like yet.

They also do a PIR motion sensor called NAS-PD01W

1 Like

I recently bought these:

They are not too laggy (1-2 seconds) in a 90 sqm flat. The caveat is that it’s only pollable thru TuyaSmart App and HA’s internal Tuya component currently doesn’t support this device but it’s expected to be in the near future.

One possible way around this would be trying to flash tasmota or some other variant since the board has contact points:

But I’m too noob to even know where to start.

I typed NAS-PD01W and I get these motion sensors. They look really good and specially like the size.
work with Tuya, so If they get integrated into HA, this is the way forward. (wifi/mqtt)

2 Likes

Sorry I meant to paste NAS-DS01W
@vermis has linked to the same item.

I was looking at the motion sensors as well, look good!

When I get them I will document which pads are needed to flash tasmota

3 Likes

Oh I didn’t realie we were talking about the same product :sweat_smile:

I hope you get them soon and can share a succesful flashing story.

Dr ZZZ has an excellent video on how to use magnetic switches along with Sonoff RF Bridge and Tasmota.

The sensors are about US5 or less.

2 Likes

I just ordered 2 sensors and they are less than US3 here.

I have got 11 out of my 12 sensors delivered today.

So over the next day / weekend I will look into which of the test points are the RX and TX so we can re-flash them with Tasmota etc

They are ESP8266 with a flash chip, but don’t know on the size yet, I am guessing they are the standard 1MB? Will update when I know.

yeah, the board is double layered so 3v3, tx, rx and gnd are on the flipside but I only have 1mm solder wire and 10 fingers to hold everything together while pressing the wifi button so all my tries have been unsuccesful so far.

Update: I’m fairly certain this board doesn’t activate program mode thru the same sequence as sonoff ones. I could only get it to start in normal SmartWifi (setup mode) and APN mode.

1 Like

I ordered the Neo Coolcam Z wave units, but they turned out to be used (and one even had writting on it) so they are returned. I could find enough Neo units, so I have now purchased the Xiaomi ones. I am a little excited if they have sufficient range to cover our house. If I set the hub centrally there is around 14 meters from the hub to some of the windows most far away.

I can get mine into programming mode
rst cause:1, boot mode:(1,7)

But I can’t get the firmware upload to work.

I know my programmer works as I have just flashed a 4 way power socket.

2 Likes

I now have some sensors and Tasmotized Sonoff RF Bridge!
Part of the payload from my door sensors is,

"Low":490,"High":1340,

Does anyone know what these might refer to?

Thanks!

you need to go into the sonoff console and look for something like this:

21:30:34 MQT: tele/sonoff/rfbridge/RESULT = {"RfReceived":{"Sync":13630,"Low":430,"High":1320,"Data":"D0ED58","RfKey":"None"}}

the Data part is what you use as payload to detect or control a device. The mqtt for this sensor would be

- platform: mqtt
  name: "pir2_roomtwo"
  state_topic: 'tele/sonoff/rfbridge/RESULT' 
  value_template: '{{ value_json["RfReceived"].Data }}'
  payload_on: "D0ED58"
  payload_off: "D0ED58OFF"
  device_class: motion
  scan_interval: 5
  retain: true

Yes, sorry I think I was too economical with my question.

I have the sensors all working fine but I was wondering what the "Low":430 and the "High":1320 elements actually represented, what are they telling me? I also wondered about the "Sync":13630 but decided it probably wasn’t interesting.

sorry, dont really know. you can have a look into the openmqttgateway github as there’s some explanation on these parameters