Reliable temperature and humidity sensors

What kind of a percent change triggers the update?

Not sure. I think 0.1 C or 1% humidity. You only get updates on change, if nothing changes it takes a long time to update. You notice it most after a restart of HA.

OK thanks. That’s not bad at all. I was thinking from the way you described it may have been more than that.

Surprising that Shelly is still not famous enough.
In contrary to other suggested solution it’s compact (very small too), no need to connect anything to it. Can be battery or usb powered. built-in mqtt support. Shelly cloud support can be disabled in configuration.

https://shelly.cloud/products/shelly-humidity-temperature-smart-home-automation-sensor/

Second that, DHT22 sensors working reliably here. Running them with Tasmotized ESP01s modules

The temperature is updated on every 0.5°C and the humidity on every 6%.

I’m using multiple Xiaomi sensors without a problem for almost 2 years.
Check the distance between the sensors and the Zigbee stick.
Check if you have interference with the wi-fi.
Try with another Zigbee stick.

Ooh, that’s not too good…

Anybody tried the ESP8266 thing with an onboard mains (100-240V AC) converter module? For example:

It looks like a good design to me, but would ideally be built into a project box with a receptacle plug directly on it. Maybe something like this would work:
https://www.polycase.com/plug-in-wall-plug-enclosures

1 Like

Are you sure about the 0.5 C before the update ?

Even the 6% humidity I don’t see

1 Like

FYI this is a comparison of a BME280 on a ESP8266 (blue) and an aqara sensor (purple)

4 Likes

Reliability is important, but equally important, depending on the usecase, is accuracy. Are there any good reviews of these and other environment/weather sensors?

I’ve tried a number of temp / humidity sensors, and the DHT sensors suffer because the humidity part of the sensor becomes saturated and is inaccurate after a week or two.

I’ve since (about 2 years ago) moved to using esp32’s with BME680’s (I have 3 in use), and they have been extremely stable and accurate. Never had any luck with zwave sensors as they didn’t report frequently enough, and often went offline.

Yeah, that doesn’t look like it’s waiting for 6% to me.

Back to looking pretty good. :slightly_smiling_face:

This info was from the Mi Home app.
Maybe that’s how it works with the Mi gateway.
With HA integration it works fine. I don’t know the exact update interval.

That explains the difference. I use them with zigbee2mqtt.

Sorry, I missed this post somehow. That looks like it would be worth a try. It seems to be a bit hard to find in the US, but I’ll keep an eye out for it.

go to shop.shelly.cloud, then select shop to US one in top menu

i would not go the shelly route. It uses an odd battery format that is not convenient.

Why odd? Pretty standard one.
Not as widely used as AAA but still, nothing exotic. True is however it seems to be more expensive.
I guess its dimensions have been considered as crucial for DW and H&T devices form-factor.

Just a heads up for anyone who comes across this great thread of knowledge.

Shelly.com is not the correct domain, the shop for the US parts is https://shopusa.shelly.cloud/
Shelly.com is for sale for 150k though lol.