Reload of input_text should also reset to initial

Pretty much as the title says.

I think the ‘reload’ service should be just that and completely reload input texts1 as though HA was restarting.

At the very least it should be an option.

A use case is for packages that allow for localisation with several language options. Each language has a file containing a set of input_texts in the corresponding language.

1 Or for that matter any input_*

I’m tempted to class this is a bug rather than a feature request. It should definitely reset to initial state (if one is specified) on reload.

Just you and me then Tom_I…

It has been closed on GitHub too (after very little discussion)

Mf made a valid point though home assistant has always been anything but consistent.

1 Like

I have an input text that I want to have a value the first time it’s loaded. If the user changes it, I want it to persist and not use the initial value again. Is there a way to achieve this?

Not by using initial.

You could automate it. Don’t include an initial value. Trigger on the home assistant start event, include a condition that checks if the input_text state is unknown, then in the actions set it to the initial value you want.

The automation will never run the actions ever again (as the input_text state will either be the initial value or the user set value, not unknown). So it seems kind of an inefficient use of automations. You could delete the automation after the first restart.

Honestly, it would be easier to not include an initial value and just set its state manually after the restart.

Kind of like the way the initial option is a complete waste.
I honestly still don’t agree with the reasoning for the initial value not being reset after a restart.
Hey ho.

Talking of which…

I wonder what happened to him? Perhaps he was hounded out for having too many sensible views?
:rofl: