Remote drone control w/camera to investigate alarm triggers?

I am interested in having vehicle of some description with a camera on it that I can operate from my mobile phone from anywhere I am so that I can investigate my house if my house alarm goes off whilst I am away.

Has anyone had any success with this?

I have a single storey house so a tired vehicle would be ok, a drone would be ok too.

Like this type of thing https://www.sunflower-labs.com/ but on a very DIY basis where I open up the drone app and look around myself.

1 Like

Love the idea - keep us posted if you find anything.

Wasn’t there an Amazon gizmo that did something like this?

Edit There’s a video here: Amazon unveils new indoor security drone - YouTube It’s about one minute in.

1 Like

Have a look at this: Scout: The Tiny AI-powered Autonomous Mobile Robot for home by Pilot Labs — Kickstarter

Looks like what you are looking for.

1 Like

I was thinking of just an ordinary drone that I could connect to my wifi and I control via an app over the internet.

Looking at @Rusty_nl and @Stiltjack 2 suggestions and then the price points seems like something purpose built seems like more logical path.

This price table shown on the scouts kickstarter pages shows the price points (shown in USD).

From being able to observe the drones aerial vantage point is far more superior as the footage from the ground looking up on the Scout would miss alot of things. Having a cat in the house though I the scout would be more pet friendly as I imagine the flying object in the house might be quiet intimidating.

I can’t see either of these products up for sale yet though.

I backed the Scout with the same use case that you are looking it.
And I agree that having a drone would ensure better flexibility in vantage points.
However the open character of the software of the scout (I am hoping someone way smarter than me creates an integration with HA that will allow me to send Scout to inspect if a motion sensor or door sensor is triggered.) and the fact that you can remote control it, made me go that direction.
The price is also such that I can take a risk and worst case I end up with a quite expensive toy for my kids.

1 Like

I’ve worked with the Parrot Anafi drones which can be easily integrated with Home Assistant because they use the Olympe API which is written in Python.
The only problem is that they don’t have a charging pad, so you need to have it always turned on which will deplete the battery after an hour or so.

1 Like

Wow you think like me we must be each others doppelgangers :rofl:

A good starting point though

Did you get your Scout yet? Mine arrived yesterday… not overly impressed as of now but still interested in integrating into HA.

No I didnt end up buying one. Had lots of changes happening with these mandates BS in Australia, HA has taken a backseat.

Found this: Drone Programming | How to Control a Drone with Python - Drone Dojo
Somebody needs to attempt this :rofl:

Another one: Home Assistant | Another phase in making my Tello a security drone completed

I have an update on the Parrot Anafi drone implementation.
I have created a new custom integration which currently gets basic drone information and video stream:

It can only be installed on x86_64 desktop systems based on the olympe install documentation, but there are instructions that you can build it for raspberry.

I am planning on adding move commands, but I am not sure how to implement it on Home Assistant, so If anyone has any insight, I would love to hear about it.

My idea of doing this is that a Number Entity will be provided for the user to select the meters the drone should move and then a Button Entity will execute the command.
The problem is that I don’t know how to get the input number from the button entity.

1 Like