Removal of GPIO support

I agree, that fork is better. At the time of the creation of my fork, I did not find it, because for some reason it was not in my HACS database. I made mine for myself and just shared with everyone. Well, let it be the one, since there is already a good job done there …

Hi all

I think much of the discussion could have been prevented if the depreciation information (Removed integration - Home Assistant) would mention the possible solution’s proposed in this 140 messages:

• use remote gpio integration (which will not be depreciated)
  • use mqtt to communicate with gpio
  • copy old code to custom folder
  • install from repository mentioned above using hacs
  • use esp32 (not doing 100% the same but for future usecases an idea to consider)

Did I miss anything?

Can anybody add the hints there?

Here is the description (I tried to log in to GitHub and add it myself but didn’t find the right file as the depreciated page is linked to a default information page.):

Proposed solutions include:

Regards
Petr

2 Likes

Updated HA to 2022.6 on my RPI yesterday and was “surprised” to see that rpi_gpio and 1-wire support was removed.
I use HA to control power from solar panels and a heat pump using relays and ds1820.
rpi_gpio was easy to reinstall via HACS. But 1-wire still don’t work. owfs / owserver apparently don’t work with the 1-wire interface on rpi - or is there a guide that I dont know?
What is the simplest way to get HA on RPI to read 1wire data in /sys ?
Br Jorgen

PS. found this on github - will try it out during this week:

1 Like

@jorgen_DK if you are already using OWFS / OWserver, one option would be installing a I2C to 1Wire board such as this one

Yesterday I installed ha-onewire-sysbus on my HA on RPI - it simply works.

After the rpi_gpio support was removed from HA. Has anyone been able to get a DHT22 to work on a HA Supr RPI GPIO Pins?

So I bit the bullet, got a d1 mini, a few jumper wires, a micro usb power adapter, a 10k resistance and a prototype board.
Got my four ds18b20 back online today and I’m back to monitoring ac and gas furnace performance.
It’s not the prettiest thing and probably will need to get a case but it works

After update core to 2022.7, the custom components stopped works :frowning: again, do you have any additionall tips, to be able to use DHT22, BME280 and mcp23017 components?

Solved.
Here is the solution to RPI GPIO problem.

Is this a new version? It looks like the only thing which changed is the manifest.json file.

I used the manual install, not HACS, so if something changed I’d have to copy down the new one. I’m not even sure where I should be looking to learn if a new version was available.

You can watch the addon releases page on its repository.

Version 2022.7.0 of the addon has been released on June 30, 2022.

I don’t really understand a lot of these changes. Not just with this integration; they all seem to have very cryptic changes. For example, when it says “bumped to version xx,” what does that really mean? Just the version number changed, or was there some dependency change?

Sorry to ask such a basic question, but I never know if there’s some functionality I should be testing, or if I can ignore those kinds of entries.

In that release:

• Bump version to 2022.7.0 means that the version number of the integration has been changed (upgraded from 2022.6.0 to 2022.7.0).

• Bump RPi.GPIO to 0.7.1 indicates that the RPi.GPIO dependency has been upgraded. Its own release notes are, per the description of the pull request:

• Better RPi board + peri_addr detection (issue 190 / 191)
    • Fix PyEval_InitThreads deprecation warning for Python 3.9 (issue 188)
    • Fix build using GCC 10 (issue 187)
    • Fix docstrings to not include licence
    • Remove Debian/Raspbian stretch packaging support
    • Use setuptools instead of distutils
    • Added detection of Zero 2 W
    • Tested and working with Python 2.7, 3.7, 3.8, 3.9, 3.10

Unfortunately, it takes some experience to read release notes when an addon integrates other packages.

Indeed.

But, it’s good to know there’s active development going on. Thank you!

A few months ago prior to 2022.6, I loaded hacs rpi_gpio into my custom components folder and updated my config file. My GPIO has worked fine until today when upgrading to 2022.7.6.

Additionally, my check configuration gives

Platform error binary_sensor.rpi_gpio - Requirements for rpi_gpio not found: [‘RPi.GPIO==0.7.1a4’].

Is the hacs integration now broken?

Is there something more needed than copying the custom components folder and updating the config file?

I have also updated by copying the files in hacs rpi_gpio from github to my customer components folder. No improvement.
Also, looking to install hacs instead of doing this manually, I don’t see a hacs on the devices and integrations page (after restart). is HACS still a thing?

I got that same (and many more) errors with the rpi_gpio integration after updating to 2022.7.6.

I went back to Github and pulled down the most recent version, and replaced the existing rpi_gpio directory in custom_components with that one. I then did a cold boot of the hardware. I’m not sure which step resolved the problem, but it started working immediately after that.

I also noted that there was a directory called __pycache__ in the old rpi_gpio directory which of course was gone when I replaced it with the new one. (Actually, I just moved the directory elsewhere, in case I had to restore it,) As it turns out, a new __pycache__ was created after HA started anyway.

I haven’t had good luck with HACS so I’ve just been installing things manually.

Two things help:
Update rpi gpio to version 2022.7.0
1 Remove rpi gpio in yaml config, restart HA and re-add rpi gpio to yaml config
2 Restart the host

@pepe59
That worked. Thanks!

Hi, I have the same issue.
HA Version core-2022.7.7
rpi_gpio 2022.7.0 installed

I have removed the rpi_gpio configuration in the Yaml file, restarted, reinserted, and restarted but it’s not working after the last HA update.
Was working the last week, and I noticed a very high CPU temperature, more than 100° and I’m not sure if it’s a raspberry pi 3 plus issue.
The configuration is valid but I have the following errors after restart:
The following integrations and platforms could not be set up:

-rpi_gpio [Show logs]
-rpi_gpio.binary_sensor
-rpi_gpio.switch

Can someone help me?

Thank you.