Removal of Mazda Connected Services integration

It’s great to see car manufacturers go out of their way to screw their clients. They won’t be around much longer this way :upside_down_face:

The sad fact is most of thier clients will never notice because the idea of connecting thier car to thier computer is so foreign to them that they don’t even know it’s important. They will never even blink unless people like us light Mazda up enough that they understand they made a mistake…

5 Likes

I think takedowns are automatic.

1 Like

I think the simple solution is to provide this as a custom_integration instead of having it inside core. I managed to get it working but getting a bunch of these errors. None of the entitiesID / Names are properly being filled out… any ideas? Not sure which door is which door. EntityID’s are showing like binary_sensor.2022_cx_5_2_5_s_ce_awd_door_6

Logger: homeassistant.helpers.entity
Source: helpers/entity.py:371
First occurred: October 27, 2023 at 10:33:08 PM (7 occurrences)
Last logged: October 27, 2023 at 10:33:08 PM

* Entity None (<class 'custom_components.mazda.button.MazdaButtonEntity'>) is implicitly using device name by not setting its name. Instead, the name should be set to None, please report it to the custom integration author
* Entity None (<class 'custom_components.mazda.sensor.MazdaSensorEntity'>) is implicitly using device name by not setting its name. Instead, the name should be set to None, please report it to the custom integration author
* Entity None (<class 'custom_components.mazda.device_tracker.MazdaDeviceTracker'>) is implicitly using device name by not setting its name. Instead, the name should be set to None, please report it to the custom integration author
* Entity None (<class 'custom_components.mazda.lock.MazdaLock'>) is implicitly using device name by not setting its name. Instead, the name should be set to None, please report it to the custom integration author
2 Likes
11 Likes

This seems promising - did you get any further with it?

1 Like

Any updates and how can I get this working myself? :smiley:

1 Like

By the way, it seems that the repo with the Python lib for the Toyota Home Assistant custom component for North America has also been taken down with a DMCA notice: https://github.com/widewing/toyota-na

Let’s hope Toyota Europe doesn’t take similar steps. It’s sad to see this behavior of car makers currently.

2 Likes

I wonder if SmartCar got another recent addition to their integrations :smirk:

Just a thought.

Does Mazda App or connected services build on any open source code?

Can’t find a copyright statement in the app or the connected services documents.

Cant find any open source references either.

Hmmm. …

Who does not? It is very unlikely that they are not using some sort of code which is open source.

Since when can anybody copy code directly from a secure repository?

And when an API’s address and key has became copyrighted material?

I think that these guys taking down these repositories are happy to make their own company look shit…

Don’t they have to disclose.

As far as I can tell there is no copyright notice in the app.

I believe that depends on the license of the source code. But you can have a look what is compiled in the apk:

And you can notify the owner of the source code if you find any open source code which is not disclosed.

For example GPL has this:

The GPL additionally states that a distributor may not impose “further restrictions on the rights granted by the GPL”. This forbids activities such as distributing the software under a non-disclosure agreement or contract.
The fourth section for version 2 of the license and the seventh section of version 3 require that programs distributed as pre-compiled binaries be accompanied by a copy of the source code, a written offer to distribute the source code via the same mechanism as the pre-compiled binary, or the written offer to obtain the source code that the user got when they received the pre-compiled binary under the GPL. The second section of version 2 and the fifth section of version 3 also require giving “all recipients a copy of this License along with the Program”. Version 3 of the license allows making the source code available in additional ways in fulfillment of the seventh section. These include downloading source code from an adjacent network server or by peer-to-peer transmission, provided that is how the compiled code was available and there are “clear directions” on where to find the source code.
The FSF does not hold the copyright for a work released under the GPL unless an author explicitly assigns copyrights to the FSF (which seldom happens except for programs that are part of the GNU project). Only the individual copyright holders have the authority to sue when a license violation is suspected.
Source: GNU General Public License - Wikipedia

1 Like

Actually that has been taken down a year ago. The DMCA notice was from 2022.09.20.

But Mazda did another DMCA for forks of the original project: