Removal of MyQ integration

Agree. But, tough to wallet vote on a garage door opener.

It is not like buying beer. Because it does not happen often!

I have an older LiftMaster LM80EVS opener from 2018 with an external MyQ internet gateway, and a simple dumb wired pushbutton bought from Amazon connected via two terminals on the opener itself, so I’m not sure I need the intelligence that a ratgdo brings, as you can literally short the wires and it opens/closes.

I also already have a Gogogate2 I installed a few years ago to try to improve Alexa/Google integration, before I started using HA. So I’m wondering if I can either add another universal WiFi opener like the Meross, or maybe add a Gogogate2 integration if there is one?

True, but not buying their subscriptions can show their plan isn’t working either

Or not buying any of their junky “camera” keypad addon devices the ads in the app always show that are useless outside their walled garden.

1 Like

There is a Gogogate2 integration:

Gogogate 2 integrartion

Hello Valiante,

• ratgdo would not work on your gdo - there is no extra information nor control that ratgdo can bring.
  • If you click the blue “add integration” button under your Settings section, you likely can see this, which is part of HA core integration.
    You could find further documentation on the HA website: Gogogate2 and ismartgate - Home Assistant (home-assistant.io)

I’ve just read this article from The Verge, which sums up multiple of these issues happening currently in the Smart Home industry, including MyQ, Philips Hue, etc.

The author, brings up a 2016 FTC blog post which supposed to help manufacturers and customers about what to expect from a product.

In 2016, the FTC issued a blog post that asked manufacturers to answer a series of questions while designing a connected device. Even in 2023, the answers are still unclear for many products.

The FTC’s questions are:

• Are you selling a device, a service, or both? What are you telling consumers you’re selling?
  • Are consumers getting a fixed-term rental or subscription, or are they getting something they will own and can rely on for the life of the device?
  • Would reasonable consumers expect to be able to keep using the device – and have it be fully functional – if the company, even many years later, rides off into the sunset? Would they expect the device to have an “expiration date”?
  • Could consumers keep using your device in the ways they would reasonably expect based on their experience with similar devices?
  • What did you tell consumers at the outset – or what would they otherwise expect – about the security you would provide for the life of the device?

As general it would be a nice thing if all manufacturers would answer these questions, because as a buyer we would have a clear expectation what we are buying.

NabuCasa could have a statement to answer these questions as well to show off the industry that how you should face your customers and could ask any partners to do the same as well to provide more clarity.

3 Likes

Manufacturers don’t like answering questions like that. Because they generate even more questions and can inform consumers about aspects of a product/service that the manufacturers often purposely muddy.

Well, I can tell about my route. First I used ZigBee devices and weren’t happy with their performance and stability at all and the lack of proper debugging options or configurations to improve the situation let me to get rid all of this little black boxes which are often advertised as “compatible” (while in reality sometimes only a subset of sensor/options work).

Long storey short today I have a clear expectation what I want: 100% local & 100% private control and that’s why I only buy 100% esphome compatible devices nowadays. No more black boxes but just full control.

1 Like

The ratgdo hardware design is not open hardware, but it is only a few resistors and a pair of transistors so fairly easy to reverse engineer.

I’m sure this will be buried but Chamberlain group sells local homekit bridge devices already that connect your opener directly to homekit without needing the cloud connection

I have the Liftmaster 819LMB and it works perfectly in home-assistant with my Chamberlain branded garage door opener. It’s super responsive and doesn’t need an active internet connection to work, just wifi

@Valiante you should be able to swap the internet gateway out for an 819LMB Home Bridge to connect the garage door opener directly to home assistant via HomeKit

Discontinued 1+ years ago.

sells → used to sell

Plus, why would anyone want to pay Chamberlain, after they did all that to their customers?

3 Likes

Does anyone have any good method for disconnecting the myQ GDO from the internet? I did some experiments last night with some interesting findings:

1. If you reset WiFi on the GDO, it will broadcast it’s own AP. This, IMO, is a security issue as it would allow someone to park in front of your house and brute force the AP’s password in order to gain control of the GDO.

2. Blocking all “internet” access for the GDO at my router resulted in failed attempts to contact google’s DNS at 8.8.8.8, and the GDO rebooting itself every 30 minutes.*

3. Allowing the GDO to access only 8.8.8.8 resulted in the GDO accessing google DNS, followed by attempting to access a myq server. If it wasn’t able to connect to the myq server, it would reboot itself every 30 minutes.*

(While I haven’t explicitly tested it, I’m assuming the device rebooting itself while opening or closing the GDO would be a problem.)

*-The rebooting can most easily be observed by going to the GDO’s local webpage. For example, if the GDO is assigned an IP of “1.2.3.4”, you can see it’s page at “http://1.2.3.4”. That page will have a couple interesting points on it. First, if the GDO thinks it’s connected to the internet (not just connected to wifi), and also a timer since the GDO was powered on. In my experiments above, the “powered on” timer would reset to 0 any time the GDO was NOT connected to the internet for 30 minutes.

Is the whole opener rebooting, or just a restart/reboot of the MyQ system? How long does the boot take?

I don’t know. The only sign I’ve seen (so far) of the GDO rebooting is the “power on” timer resetting and the GDO dropping and reconnecting to a wifi AP. It doesn’t seem to take very long… it’s usually less than 5 seconds between disconnecting and reconnecting wifi.

My concern is really what impact it would have on normal functionality of the GDO. What if the reboot occurs while opening/closing?

Sometime this weekend I’ll test this out by blocking it from the internet again, letting it do one reboot, watching the “power on timer” until it’s very nearly 30 minutes, and then opening the GDO (which takes 13-14 seconds) right before that 30 minute mark.

I have two GDO and neither broadcast their own AP after I reset the wifi settings (hold the black adjustment button for about 6 seconds until 3 beeps are heard). They are both MyQ LiftMaster made in late 2019 but I don’t know the exact model number.

BTW, I highly recommend the ratgdo device. It can be a bit annoying to install (especially if the wires going to your GDO don’t have any slack), but it works GREAT with HA (especially with ESPHome firmware.)

2 Likes

I’ll retest this…

I tried the Konnected Smart Garage Door Opener and the ESPHome integration and got everything installed and recognized in Home Assistant but can only get my Chamberlain Liftmaster Elite Model: 41DB002-2 with purple learn button to open one time then it will not open/close through HA or the Konnected app. I have to remove the wire from the motor housing to reset it and then it will only open or close one time and stop working.
I worked with Konnected support and confirmed the door opens and closes when touching the wires together. I had the same issue using the Konnected firmware and Konnected app. I tried re-flashing firmware several times on Mac and PC, received a replacement unit from Konnected and re-wired, used new plug, re-flashed etc. and still my door only opens/closes one time then will not open or close again. The sensor works and Home Assistant reads the sensor calibration correctly and knows when the door is open or closed (manually). The Konnected box will sound siren and strobe when close is pressed but the door never closes. Only if I remove wire from motor housing then the cycle repeats.
Back-ordered a ratGDO so waiting for that to try again.

I had a chance to retest this, and spent a bit more time with it this time…

Instead of moving my car out of the way to use the buttons on the GDO, I used the wall remote for the GDO and told it I wanted to set up wifi. That kicked it into broadcasting it’s own AP. I then connected to that AP, brought up the device page at http://192.168.0.1, and found an option to erase all wifi settings. I selected that option…

And nothing happened. It was still advertising it’s own AP. So… I tried again. On the second try, it acknowledged the request… and stopped broadcasting an SSID.

As far as I’ve been able to determine, it hasn’t broadcasted an SSID since, and hasn’t connected to the previously configured SSID.

1 Like