Removed Z-Wave Dimmers Still Showing Up

I’ve physically replaced two Z-Wave dimmers with WiFi switches but they are still showing in Home Assistant as responding. Below is the steps I followed.

Home Assistant 0.80.3

1. Z-Wave config > Remove Node
  2. Double tapped on the dimmer (Evolv LRM-AS) to exclude it. Nothing in zwave logs
  3. Restarted Home Assistant
  4. Repeated steps 1-3 roughly 4 times
  5. Gave up with the proper process
  6. Physically removed the Z-Wave dimmer (it’s laying on my desk)
  7. Ran heal network
  8. Restarted Home Assistant

It’s worth noting that this was removed on Saturday (10/20). I’ve restarted Home Assistant multiple times over the weekend. The dimmers still show up which is very strange to me.

How can I remove these devices?

It looks like the device didn’t remove. Did you follow the button pushing process on the device to put it into Removal node then select Remove Node in the control panel?

Per the instructions I was to double tap on or off 2x within 20ms. I did this in step 2 above.

Zwave has something odd going on in 80.0 that I think is related to the entity registry but not proven this yet.

I can delete devices and they continue to show up even though the OZW logs report a removal success until I shutdown HA and manually remove the entries from the entity registry as well as the zwcfg*.xml. If I leave them in the zwcfg*.xml they get added on restart to the entity registry; before they are updated as dead by the network discovery; and then they persist.

It seems the entity registry updates on the zwcfg*.xml too early; assuming the cached state is correct; and once in the entity registry it doesn’t prune devices that then don’t come up to a completed state.

It’s really a complete shit-show and unfortunately can’t roll back easily as the update to the new entity registry appears one way…