Removing unknown node from Zwave network

I have a node that shows up in the Controller as “unknown node 32” which is probably my bricked Schlage lock. I can’t exclude it because the lock won’t respond to commands. I tried following the instructions under Zwave node management by setting is_failed to true and trying Remove Failed Node (see below)

• Remove Failed Node will remove a failed node from the network. The node needs to be on the controller’s Failed Node List (marked as is_failed: true ), otherwise this command will fail. You can trick OpenZWave into thinking the node is failed by selecting the zwave entity in the States menu, under Developer tools , and changing "is_failed": false, to "is_failed": true, then selecting Set State .

But even after a reboot this node still shows up. Any suggestions on how to properly clear this broken device from the network?

1 Like

I have same problem. Did markk it is_failed false and then remove failed node, but it keeps show up.
Dont know how to get rid of it.

As far as I am aware wait for it to go is_failed: true on it’s own, then Remove Failed Node.

1 Like

I am also having this problem. I have a device that is dead and now the node is “unknown” even though I set

“is_failed”: true

it won’t let me delete the node from my network.

1 Like

I’m also looking for a solution to this. I have 5 I want out of my system! Four of them I want to rediscover, but they don’t seem to since these are in there already.

I have the same problem, but with some additional info from OZWlog

I try to remove my unknown node with node_id: 21 which I set to is_failed:true as described in citation of FutureTense. i click on SetState and go stright to ZWave control panel. There I select the the unknown node 21 and click the button “RemoveFaileNode”.
So far, so good. But the device is not removed. Also a restart HA or a reboot does not help.
After a reboot the state of is_failed: becomes false again.

So I watch OZW_log.txt what happens:

2020-05-11 13:16:31.401 Detail, Node021, Queuing (Controller) Remove Failed Node
2020-05-11 13:16:31.401 Info, ControllerCommand_RemoveFailedNode
2020-05-11 13:16:31.401 Detail, contrlr, Queuing (Command) ControllerCommand_RemoveFailedNode: 0x01, 0x05, 0x00, 0x61, 0x15, 0xcf, 0x41
2020-05-11 13:16:31.401 Detail, Notification: ControllerCommand - Starting
2020-05-11 13:16:31.404 Detail,
2020-05-11 13:16:31.404 Info, contrlr, Sending (Command) message (Callback ID=0xcf, Expected Reply=0x61) - ControllerCommand_RemoveFailedNode: 0x01, 0x05, 0x00, 0x61, 0x15, 0xcf, 0x41
2020-05-11 13:16:31.406 Detail, contrlr,   Received: 0x01, 0x04, 0x01, 0x61, 0x08, 0x93
2020-05-11 13:16:31.406 Detail,
2020-05-11 13:16:31.407 Warning, contrlr, WARNING: Received reply to FUNC_ID_ZW_REMOVE_FAILED_NODE_ID - Node not found
2020-05-11 13:16:31.407 Detail, Node147,   Expected callbackId was received
2020-05-11 13:16:31.407 Detail, Node147,   Message transaction complete
2020-05-11 13:16:31.407 Detail,
2020-05-11 13:16:31.408 Detail, contrlr, Removing current message
2020-05-11 13:16:31.408 Detail, Notification: ControllerCommand - Failed

Everytime I click on RemoveFailedNode I get the same log lines.
It will remove node 21
But then there is something about Node 147 ???

Any idea?

seeing the same thing

Having same problem.Have anyone find solution?

Mine went away on its own. Not sure how or why.

I replaced my hardware. The financial idiot’s way of fixing things.

1 Like

Node not found suggests it isn’t on the controller anymore and is an artifact. You need to nuke your ozwcache file and restart, it’ll rebuild it. If there is still a device stuck you can remove it from the .storage folder under your HA config file, in core_devices*

If that doesn’t work, many of the sticks allow you to connect them to your computer and run the chip manufacturer’s software to interact with the controller. From there you can remove it directly from the controller.

1 Like

Where might this ozwcache file be located? I’m on a HASSIO installation, and I’ve not been able to find it anywhere.

Sorry, wrong file name if you aren’t using the Ozw-beta setup. Look for something like zwcfg_*.xml. It should be in the home assistant config directory where your configuration.yaml lives. If you open it, it’ll list every node. You can delete the entire thing, or delete only that one node’s entries.

1 Like

Here’s what I tried, and what finally worked. For me it was node 8 that I needed to be gone.

1. I tried the documented way to remove an old node (setting it as failed, removing it, etc. No luck.
  2. I made a back of zwcfg_.xml and then edited by zwcfg_.xml and removed node 8, only to find out that it is a cache and not a config file!
  3. I deleted zwcfg_*.xml and rebooted HASSIO. The reboot was probably extreme, but you know. It didn’t work.
  4. I took a stab at .storage/core.device_registry. I started with a backup. I found the section for node 8, and I cut it form the file, and pasted it back into the “deleted devices” section at the top of the file. Then I removed all of the extra bits from the json so that only “config_entries, connections, id, & identifiers were left”. I copied the entire file and pasted into a json linter to made sure that I hadn’t screwed up the syntax. Then I deleted zwcfg_*.xml again, and restarted HA (not a reboot this time).

The number of ZWave devices dropped from 23 to 22, so that’s a promising sign.
When I go into the device list (configuration -> integrations -> 22 devices link in the ZWave card), the node is gone.

But, when I go to configuration -> integrations -> configure in the ZWave card and hit the drop down for the nodes under node management, node 8 is still there.

I’m closer than I was!

Press the Remove Failed Node button in the Zwave Control Panel.

Press the Remove Failed Node button in the Zwave Control Panel.

not working for me :confused:

I recently had a similar issue that was caused by restoring a backup configuration. One of my devices seemed to get confused by this and would respond to some messages, but not all. In trying to fix the issue I added it again, so now there were two copies. I tried to mark the first instance (that wasn’t working properly) as failed and selecting “Remove Failed Node” but that caused the controller to send a “ControllerCommand_RemoveFailedNode” message. Unfortunately, the sensor saw this message and replied which indicates it is not failed.

Long story short: I removed the battery from the sensor, then marked with “is_failed”, then tried "Remove Failed Node, and the node was properly removed.

Same issue here, node 042 is reported as “Unknown node 42” (in initialization state) for weeks. I tried removing it with remove node and pressing the button on the Fibaro Motion sensor 3x. That seemed to work, it still shows up in the Z-Wave control panel however… but I’m not able to send any commands to it anymore.

I marked it as failed and tried the remove failed node command:
-Detail, Node042, Queuing (Controller) Remove Failed Node
-Info, ControllerCommand_RemoveFailedNode
-Detail, contrlr, Queuing (Command) ControllerCommand_RemoveFailedNode: 0x01, 0x05, 0x00, 0x61, 0x2a, 0xd7, 0x66
-Detail, Notification: ControllerCommand - Starting
-Detail,
-Info, contrlr, Sending (Command) message (Callback ID=0xd7, Expected Reply=0x61) - -ControllerCommand_RemoveFailedNode: 0x01, 0x05, 0x00, 0x61, 0x2a, 0xd7, 0x66
-Detail, contrlr, Received: 0x01, 0x04, 0x01, 0x61, 0x08, 0x93
-Detail,
-Warning, contrlr, WARNING: Received reply to FUNC_ID_ZW_REMOVE_FAILED_NODE_ID - Node not found

So the node does not seem to exist in the controller (Aeotec USB stick), right?
It still shows up in the ZWave control panel, also after stopping and starting the network.

Any tips?

Healed the network and had some patience. Node disappeared over night from Zwave control panel.
I still needed to manually remove it from HA by removing from .storage/core.device_registry as described by @Meaulnes (thnx!)
Issue solved for me