Renesola Micro Replus solar micro-inverter MRG monitoring! BACK FROM THE DEAD!

Hi @xafalcon If it interests you, I’ve found out how to update the MRG so that it gives information on each inverter using the MRG’s own interface screen.

My Home Assistant post is here: https://tinyurl.com/ya3a754p

I have NEP microinverters and connected a ReneSola gateway yesterday. It works fine. I bought it for 45 dollars on Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ReneSola-Micro-Replus-Gateway-Solar-Inverter-Monitor-208-240V/323506740712

1 Like

Hi @louis61. Thank you for the extra info. The more we can find out about these Renesola inverters, the better. I use the gateway connected by ethernet cable to my router, which allows me to view the output from each micro inverter in graphical form. I’m happy that with a now reduced mains supply voltage, my micro inverters are not “tripping out” due to over-voltage. In fact, they are working very well

What I really desperately need is the password for the “misetup” page as I’m wanting to use my microinverters in an off grid situation, and need to use frequency shifting to sequentially throttle the inverters as the battery becomes fully charged. And to do that, I need to access the inverter setup page = “misetup”

Anyone who can help with this?

1 Like

Hi @xafalcon. I contacted the guy who used to work for ReneSola Australia. (he’s the person who gave me the information on how to update the MRG back in 2016) Unfortunately, he doesn’t know the password. It was nice of him to get back to me, actually. Any idea what it might be @Postman_nz? Have you tried obvious ones like “admin”, “user” and “nep”? It’s good that you were able to connect it to your router - not something I’ve managed to do, unfortunately, I’m very much a novice! Anyway, good luck with it! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi @louis61. I’ve probably spent 6 hours trying to crack the misetup password. Tried all the usual and logical passwords I could think of. But without success. Surely someone must know it, somewhere

Connecting through a router is quite simple. Just follow the instructions above, and it worked for me. I use a software called PuTTY. I’m also a computer novice, so if I managed it, you should be able to as well

Correction it works but power output is not correct. I installed the update of the SW mentioned here: Renesola Micro Replus MRG monitoring gateway - setting it up for individual inverter monitoring then the power output is correct. Also if you have NEP inverters you need to change the contents of /root/Gateway/oem.confand put OEM_USER=nep there and then it works very well

I just received 2 of the close out microinverters and an MGR on Ebay. The updates proposed worked great. I can see the web interface and select the engineer mode. My panels didn’t connect. I’ve had them running connected to my Wisconsin Electric 240 60Hz (L1 120v, L2 120v) power for at least 15 hours now.

Meter shows

Got it fixed, issue was not listing the serial number of the micro-inverters in as required in the instructions.

Another topic, I had the settings for the web server on my MGR and they got erased after reboot. I’ve only had it running for a few hours but I also had one crash (unexpected reboot) which was how I found out about the reboot. How to make the settings stick, worried that whoever ENGR’ed this is trying to make them worthless given the auto erase of the web interface??

Setting date and time is annoying, here is a fix for that:
rdate -s time.nist.gov

Looking forward to setting up the code for the nicer web interface.

1 Like

I have a pair of ReneSola Micro Replus-250A inverters now communicating with a MRG and publishing to Home Assistant. After a couple days of run time I noticed a couple things:

1. Everyday index.html is deleted so to get the webserver to work again remotely the index.bak needs to be copied to index.html. I am assuming there is a housekeeping routine that resets the daily production and also deletes this html file.

2. There is a pretty decent low pass filter or some sort of rolling average on the data coming out of the MRG. Before setting up this gateway, I already had a current clamp (two actually) publishing my solar production so it was easy for me to compare them. See below. (Starting about 10 am there were sporadic clouds throughout the day) The sun was behind the hill and blocked to the panels at 3:35 PM but the MRG still reported output until after 4 PM.

2 Likes

Fabulous! I’m really pleased to see that people are getting something out of this. Strange about the index.htm getting reset, but maybe you could put it in a cron job to rename it every day?

Also as a side note, I used Home Assistant to publish the values to an Open Energy Monitor emoncms system. It’s a bit of a roundabout method seeing as a current transformer would work fine too, but using the stock emoncms history integration works pretty well.

Community! Keep up the good work!

I figured out how to stop the deleting of index.html everyday so the web server always works.

In /root/Gateway/OEM/rene_oem.sh it checks in file /root/Gateway/web_profile if "$INTERNAL_WEB" = "off" so changing it to INTERNAL_WEB=on in web_profile prevents the index.html file from being renamed everyday.

3 Likes

g’day. new here, stumbled across this thread looking for info on my renesolas…
The setup password for misetup is the last 5 digits of the gateway serial number.

WARNING **grid parameters of BDM inverters *
*can be set according to the local utility company’s requirement. These *
*parameters define limits of power grid condition for the micro inverters to output *
**AC power. These parameters can only be set by qualified electrician. *
Wrongful settings may result in damaging to power grid equipment.

I also was able to use the NEP app to view current production only, by registering my gateway. my renesola cloud monitoring is still working, it seems to be hosted by NEP (url is renesola.nepviewer.com) but i gather the issue is that new users cant register?
anyway, great work, always good to skip the cloud…
ps, anyone have an inverter or two they’d like to sell? I’d like a couple of spares since my installing company are really great at ignoring service requests.

3 Likes

Maximum credit to you @Russ57 for the Renesola misetup password. I was within a week of selling my microinverters, but now they are viable to use off-grid with a sunny island, and use frequency shifting to shut the inverters down as the battery reaches full charge.

1 Like

great! in fact, that’s exactly how i got the pw = to set the inverters with staggered frequency limits so i can shut down when off grid. (didnt actually go through with it for other reasons, but still on the project list).
(although i’d still like to get my hands on a couple more as spares…)

1 Like

I think it’s time a WIKI is created for Renesola stuff - But I don’t know much about what the best way to do it would be. I think Github hosts wikis? Although it’s more of a reverse engineering wiki… A thought. Lots of really great info to be shared and organized.

@Han_Solo. Thanks for the info on stopping the daily deleting of index.html

As I’m not a computer whiz, would you kindly list the steps and command(s) necessary to change INTERNAL_WEB=on as you describe?

Thanks in advance for your help

Well you are in for a real treat with the VI text editor which is famous for being nonintuitive.

vi /root/Gateway/web_profile
i (insert mode)
cursor to the end of the line and change it from off to on
ESC (exit insert mode)
:wq ENTER (save and quit)

2 Likes

@Han_Solo thank you for posting instructions, all working well now

Hi everyone. I stumbled over this forum in my search for NEP BDG-256 and NEP microinverters.
I have inherited 7 pcs. NEP BDM-250 and a NEP BDG-256 but cannot get it to work.
Thanks to the posts in this forum I now have access to the misetup and can set parameters to the inverters.
My problem is that the BDG-256 gateway does not show any production for the inverters. I can confirm that there is no production when I measure the current from the inverters with my clamp Amp.meter.
I can see the individual modules but they just show “OK” (for comunication) and 0W output power.
They respond back through the PLC-com with set parameters though.
There is no fault code on inverters. They just seems to be in a stand-by state for unknown reason

When I push the button for “system status” under misetup page then I get “Not found gateway-plc.” (in red writing) back among with system parameters for the BDG gateway. I suspect there is a fault with my NEP gateway so I have now bought a renesola gateway. (waiting for it to arrive)

Does anyone know what the setting Freq_cal_offset does and what number to put in here?

My goal is to make myself a hybrid wind solar system with seven panels and seven roof-mount wind turbines. For every BDM-250 NEP inverter there will be connected one panel and one turbine.

I live in Norway and a full hybrid solar wind facility can be benefitiual I think.

If anyone have som info that can help my problem please do not hesitate to respond
thanks.

Hello Sabohn,

It seems like you have a little problem on your hand. I’m a bit surprised to see that this site has become the de-facto community support site for this equipment, but here we are.

So one thing to wonder about is if your voltage and frequency ratings are right. There are several different versions of this inverter, and they’re all for different locations. As you probably know, grid tie inverters are designed to only produce in a very narrow range of voltage and frequency conditions, for everything from grid stability to safety of line workers, and so on. If you can see the inverters, that’s a good sign, but I don’t know if the inverters are seeing the power they want, and it’s probably not as simply as just entering the correct values in the inverter configuration to go from 60 to 50 hz and a large voltage change and so on. There’s probably slightly different components on the board of the inverter as well. And just because you CAN change it in software doesn’t mean that the inverter will accept the values. Do check to see that you didn’t accidentally buy US or Japan inverters. Norway is, I believe 230V 50Hz. You may be able to fudge a US 240V down to 230V, but the Hz change is probably not going to fly. As for Freq_cal_offset? No idea. Whatever you do, at least write down some of the original values before changing stuff. NEP doesn’t exactly release fresh binaries of the firmware for these things, if they even still exist as a legitimate company.

Good luck, and please do write more about your experience, especially if you happen to solve it. You can’t be the only person in the world that’s having this problem, and your knowledge will help others.

Best,
Andy

https://www.enfsolar.com/pv/inverter-datasheet/9666 shows a few of the different inverter versions.