Renogy BT-2 and Communication Hub

@Corey_Johnson

Someone in thr DCHome community posted about accessing the API, locally of the M1

https://h5.renogy.com/#/postDetail?aWQlM0Q0Mjc0OCUyNnVzZXJJbm5lcklkJTNEODI2MDU2

1 Like

Very exciting! Iā€™ll definitely what his progress.

Says he is a HA user too so hopefully will share here and integrate to HA.

I wanted to monitor my DCC50S over bluetooth, and only came across this thread. So, I wrote a quick MQTT integration. Iā€™ve been running it for a week or so and it seems to work okay. In case this helps anyone else: GitHub - ard00d/renogy-bt2-ha-ble

2 Likes

@ard00d this looks exactly what I was looking for (and Iā€™m sure dozens of other people!)
Did you install HA image or Ubuntu and then HA in docker?
Iā€™ve read somewhere that if I go with the second option Iā€™m losing the capability of using Addons in HA.
But Iā€™ve noticed that in your repo youā€™re using python, does that mean that I have to go with the first option?

Thanks,
Didi

Found this ready to plug-in device that supports Home Assistant MQTT

I just messaged them in the Renogy discord re API access to monitor power levels etc, and they responded:

Thank you for your valuable feedback and interest in our ongoing development. Currently, the mentioned feature is still in progress. For direct involvement and access to our API in its testing phase, please reach out to

[email protected]. Kindly provide details about your intended API usage. We appreciate your understanding and look forward to your continued support as we work towards enhancing our services. Feel free to contact us for any further assistance or clarification.

Iā€™m certainly not a programmer or knowledgeable about how to proceed but maybe someone here wants to take a go at itā€¦ I have a Lycan and would love to be able to add the battery status and solar info from the inverterā€¦

1 Like

Just emailed them. Thanks for sharing.

Iā€™m a bit late to the party here but have been using my renogy setup to learn to write a Bluetooth plugin for home assistant, if anyone wants to test it out itā€™s here: GitHub - markgdev/home-assistant_renogy: A home assistant component to query Renogy devices via bluetooth. keeping in mind it probably needs some more work to suit setups that differ from mine (I have 2x 100ah batteries and a DcDc30s connected via a BT-2).

2 Likes

Thanks for posting. What are you using for Bluetooth hardware and are you connecting to the BT-2 which is connected to your devices? Can you use the Renogy Bluetooth app at the same time?

I have mine connected directly to my raspberry pi(home assistant) with the renogy rs485 to usb cable and am using modbus.

Iā€™m using a lolin32 lite running esphome for a Bluetooth proxy. It could be any esp32 device running esphome though. You can use the app as well but I think youā€™ll see errors if home assistant and the app query at the same time. For my use case Iā€™ll use the app while Iā€™m away from home (my batteries are in the car) and home assistant while at home.

@Markg
I have installed your integration in my HomeAssistant.
How do I get the Mac address, the battery idā€™s and the controller idā€™s?

I have 2x100Ah batteries from Renogy connected to the BT-2 module.

Would you help me? I would be very grateful.

I suspect your batteries might be the same as mine, 48 & 49. Thatā€™s what the Renogy app set them to when I set them up. Is the MAC address written on the back of the BT2?

@Markg You mean ID 48, 49?

There is a barcode on the back of the BT-2 module and the barcodey is probably translated underneath.
Will that be the Mac address?
How did you get yours?
I also tried BT Scanner but I could not recognize which is the Renogy BT module.

How should I fill it in then?
Name = any name
Mac address = xxx:xxx:xxx?
Battery id = 48,49
Controller id = ?

I use a Raspberry Pi 4 on which Homeassistant is installed.
It has Bluetooth on board.
Should it work like this?

Edit:
I have now been able to find the MAC address, with a Bluetooth scanner on Android it was displayed immediately.

I have now also found the IDā€™s I suspect that under
List of Batteries: 48,49
and under
Controller: 97

should be set, the configuration accepts my input but then an error is displayed.
It will probably not address the internal Bluetooth module of the Raspi.

Edit:
I have tried a few more things, unfortunately without success.
I have connected both batteries together without a hub and the Bluetooth module, i.e. Daisychain, is also in the second battery.

I can now see that my PI is communicating with the Bluetooth module, but the IDs are probably wrong.

The reason why my module did not communicate at all was that the first letter is always made small when copying the MAC.

However, I really donā€™t know what to do now

I really canā€™t remember how I got the idā€™s, I found them last year sometime when I was playing with a direct modbus connection, and following somebody elseā€™s guide.

I think I should be able modify the code to cycle through each modbus id to see if there is a device connected when the integration is first setup. Itā€™ll take me a bit of time to get to it though.

Until then, Iā€™m hoping someone else might chime in with some advice on how to find them.

@Markg That would be wonderful! Unfortunately I canā€™t program.
Is there a list of codes I can try?
I tried just connecting one battery and then getting data with the controller and Battery ID 255. Unfortunately also without success, I would be grateful for any advice.

Unfortunately youā€™d need to cycle through from 0-255 which might take a while.
Iā€™ll let you know if I manage to make any progress on detecting them.

This seems like a tedious job.

I read this part here, but donā€™t understand exactly what it means. Maybe I could find a quicker solution, but I donā€™t know exactly how to use it.

https://github.com/cyrils/renogy-bt

If you receive no response or garbled data with above ids, connect a single device at a time and use the default broadcast address of 255 in config.ini to find out the actual device_id from output log. Then use this device Id to connect in Hub mode.

1 Like

I have a bunch of Renogy stuff and keen to help with the integration. I have two different deployments, Shed and 4x4. The shed has a 60A Rover, 600W of panels, One M1, 3000W inverter / charger and a non-bluetooth 200AH battery. The second is in the 4x4 which is a 200AH battery with bluetooth, 40 amp DC to DC, Redarc 1000w inverter. I also have a BT-2 module somewhere.

I have three HA instances, main one in the house and also one in the shed and on in the 4x4. I manage them all separately, which is a bit of a pain but have some ESP Home powered switches that coexist across the HAā€™s.

Happy to help where I can. Cheers

Thank you for your work!
I tried a lot of things to get our RV batteries and solar into home assitantā€¦ended up with an extra pi running an mqtt client, but im trying to reduce energy consumption and only have one device running HA.

I tried your integration today, but do not have any batteries hooked aup at the moment. Is there an option to leave the battery id empty so it doesnt try to connect to a non existant battery?

Thx in advance