Renson healthbox 3.0

Hi community members

Our local API for Healthbox 3.0 supports reading out the sensor values, however a key needs to be generated (o our side) to enable this on the device. If someone is willing to build an integration for home assistant we can validate this together with you and the Home Assistant team. If someone wants to develop this integration, please contact me at [email protected].

Once we have validated this integration we will continue to enable this for community members per request.

Hi @ronandezyn ,

Good to hear that is possible to read out the sensor values.
So it was actually like I thought it would be: somekind of token is for proper authentication to retrieve the values.

But you are now asking the community to build a Home Assistant integration.
That is, I must say, quite a big ask.
Maybe there is someone here willing to invest the time in that. (And likely I will for sure have a look how much time this will cost me).
But cannot we get like a temporary solution in the meantime? As adding some REST request in configuration with an api key is quite a lot easier than building a whole integration.
Let alone that this integration needs to be maintained. Is Renson willing to take over maintenance once it has been built? Or do you also want the community to handle this?

And do you want this to be an official Home Assistant integration, or would a ā€œunofficialā€ through HACS also work for you?
As I can imagine this becoming a ā€œcertifiedā€ Home Assistant plugin will not be something that will happen within a few weeks.

1 Like

Bram,
Can boosting the ventilator be used with a restful switch ? I canā€™t seem to get it working.
I can read the current state of the ventilator with a sensor:

- platform: rest
    name: badkamer_ventilatie_boost_status
    resource: http://192.168.0.5/v1/api/boost/2
    method: GET
    value_template: "{{value_json.enable}}"

But I canā€™t seem to get a restful switch to work

switch:
    name: boost_ventilatie_badkamer
    resource: "http://192.168.0.5/v1/api/boost/2"
    body_on: '{"enable": "true", "level": 200, "timeout": 5000}'
    body_off: '{"enable": "false"}'
    is_on_template: "{{ value_json.enable }}"

Any help is appreciated !

ps: Iā€™m a programming newbie
thanks,
Bram

Hi @braham

Iā€™m not familiar with restful switches but when I lookup the documentation it says that the default method of request a post request is. This in my experience never worked. Perhaps adding the method parameter could solve this issue?

switch:
    name: boost_ventilatie_badkamer
    resource: "http://192.168.0.5/v1/api/boost/2"
    method: put
    body_on: '{"enable": "true", "level": 200, "timeout": 5000}'
    body_off: '{"enable": "false"}'
    is_on_template: "{{ value_json.enable }}"

Kind Regards,
Bram

I had 2 issues. But now it works.
First of all you were right about specifying the method parameter manually. And secondly, I should have put in "enable": true
instead of "enable": "true"
thanks again,
Bram

I have to agree with @shocknl here. Building an integration is a lot of work. And even then requiring everyone who wants to use it to register first is another complexity. Why not just enable users to request the access to the values trough a form?

As @shocknl mentioned, an official integration is not that easy, an unofficial trough HACS is more feasable, but no official support that way.

@L3Chat - Iā€™ve heard from @ronandezyn (by email) that someone is already working on this integration and that it is apparently in the testing phase. So guess we need to be patient for a bit until that version is released.
Iā€™ve asked if there is already some github link available for us to at least see the progress and know what is happening there. But no answer on that yet.

Lets hope it will be available before the end of this year :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hi @shocknl

Any updates on this? Have you heard from @ronandezyn?

Kind Regards,
Bram

Nope, I didnā€™t receive anything from Renson yet.

Edit: Answer from renson: Maybe there will be something before end of Q1 2023ā€¦

@ronandezyn quite frankly and while I appreciate your feedback, I find it shocking that I am not allowed to access data on a device which I paid for and is in my house.

Cloud APIā€™s are not the answer: there should be no need for a device to ā€˜phone homeā€™ and for me not to be able to poll my data locally.

Can you please advise how local APIā€™s can be properly consumed.

1 Like

@KrisJanssen Totally agree with you.
But as far as i know, the local api (that does exist but not properly documented) does not give you all the information. They do ā€œlistā€ the ā€œsensorā€ properties. But they are always empty (except global air quality index). So likely even the unit would need a software update in order for it to return those values that we can use.
It should be something stupid simple to implement, as all the data is sent to their servers anyway. But apparently that is very difficult for them :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi all, I have been absent for a while, for which I do apologize. We are working to support the community for accessing the data through the 3rd party local API, however, as a company we would like to have validated plug-ins first. So, assuming someone can make a plug-in which we can validate and for which (hopefully) we can count on support from the Home Assistant partner program, this would be our preferred approach.

However (2) :slight_smile: , we are also looking at the support flow for activating this access to those who want it as it is not (yet) enabled by default. If you want to develop a complete plug-in, please contact me ([email protected]) and I will ask our R&D team to provide you with a key. If you donā€™t want to develop a standard plug-in which everyone can use but just want access to the data of the sensors, please contact [email protected], add me in cc and weā€™ll handle this case by case.

I hope this can help the community while we work on a more standardized integration for Home Assistant.

Itā€™s quite easy, it is just not enabled by default :wink:

Hey @ronandezyn ,
Do I understand it correctly that nobody is working on such pluging for HA at this time?
As I believe it was mentioned before that someone was actually working on it?
Thanks!

Hoi all

Thanks to this discussion, Iā€™ve been in contact with the people at Renson service, and they provided me with a key to access the sensors for my Healthbox 3. Quick and kind, thanks!

If you do so too, Iā€™ve created a small python script to easily get a list of the available sensors. It scrapes the info and transforms it into a yaml which you can use to include the sensors in your Home Assistant. Ideas to improve/add always welcome.
RensonSensorScraping

Enjoy!

3 Likes

Correct, we have some contacts who said they could do this but no actual plan at this moment.

If you wish to have a key for your device, please add the device serial number to the email to [email protected], this will speed things up :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi All,

Small update from my part, @ronandezyn Iā€™ve requested an API Key and received it the following day. Props to you and the support team of Renson for this service!

As far as the documentation goes, I had to use linux in order to upload the key in the Healthbox. In windows it didnā€™t seem to work. It took me a while to figure this out.

@dirkvb, Props to you for python script which extracts the data from the API and puts it into a readable yaml file. This saved me so much time! Canā€™t thank you enough!

Now Iā€™ve been monitoring the data for about 2 - 3 days and the temperature sensor seems a bit off with the real temperature. In the bathroom it registers a temperature of 15Ā°C while its at least 20Ā°C. Has anyone else experienced this?

1 Like

Hi Bram, i saw something similar with my temperature levels. But i suppose the sensor sits at the end of the air tube, not in the beginning (your room). In my case the renson healthbox is installed in the attic, that might explain the lower tempā€¦

1 Like

Hi @dirkvb Dirk,

Iā€™ve received a Key from Renson, one day after my email.
Thanks @ronandezyn for the info!

But Iā€™m new to the use of python (scripts) for collecting the data.
Can you shortly explain the steps on how/where to run the script for someone who has never done it?

Greetings and big thanks!