Reolink day/night sensor

Hello everyone, I own a NVR kit with three cameras, I managed to integrate it into home assistant via official integration so far so good.
Now I would like to take advantage of the camera when it goes from day to night state to turn on some lights in the yard. Among the sensors I haven’t found anything, do any of you know how to do this, or can give me any advice on this?

NVR: RLN8-410-E
Cam1: RLC-511
Cam2: RLC-511
Cam3: RLC-410-5MP

There is no way in the API to get the status if the camera is in day or night mode.
However what you can do is use the daynight_mode select entity in HomeAssistant and set that to color or black&white instead of auto. Then the camera will not switch automatically anymore and you can use a automation to switch it between color and B&W based on sunset/sunrise for instance. Then you can use the status of the daynight_mode select entity to know if it is in day or night mode.

If you appreciate the reolink integration and want to support its development, please consider sponsering the upstream library or purchase Reolink products through this affiliate link.

Hi, actually I don’t need to change the operation of the cameras. I wanted to take advantage of the day/night transition, so I can use in my other automations to turn on some lights in the yard.

This is because with home assistant’s sunrise/sunset sensor it is not very accurate, even adjusting the offsets I would have to stand to change it often, since it changes very fast especially in this period. Alternative was to find a twilight sensor maybe zigbee but I haven’t found anything. I also bought an Aqara P1 motion sensor but it only gives me the value when it detects motion and I haven’t found a way to read it all the time.

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

Unfortunately that is currently not possible.
You could ask Reolink to expose the current light level or day/night state of the camera through the HTTP API (implementing some new API command to get the current light level and/or day/night state).
If it gets added to the API, I can implement it in HomeAssistant.

You can contact Reolink here: Submit a Request - Get More Support from Reolink

If you appreciate the reolink integration and want to support its development, please consider sponsering the upstream library or purchase Reolink products through this affiliate link.

ok I thank you, I will try to make the request, if I hear back I will update you.

1 Like

Unfortunately I’ve been busy with family issues, now I’ve sent email to support let’s see if they reply.

I have been looking for this exposure as well. Have you hear back? I sent an email as well.

Thanks,

Yes, they replied that at the moment the bees are only those that are already publicly available. I no longer insisted since I created my sensor with a twilight switch and a sonoff.

Thanks for following up, I may go that route as well.

1 Like