Reolink E1 Zoom and/or Pro in HA

Well, that’s it … I thought that there were only 2 models, the Zoom and the Pro
There’s is nothing on the box except ‘E1’ which is the 3MP 30$ model sold on amazon, so from your answer I guess that’s a mis-buy :slight_smile:

Hi all,

I just need some confirmations / guide on setting up Reolink E1 Pro.

I just bought a couple Reolink E1 Pro’s based on feedback and reviews on internet. I’m now reading more into the details of setting up and integrating E1 Pro with Home Assistant. And I 'm getting a bit worried.

I’m not sure anymore if these functionalities are available (through Home Assistant) for E1 Pro:

• sensor exposed, for motion detection
  • services for eg activating or deactivating the camera’s (eg if I’m at home, the camera’s should not record; if I leave (presence detection), the camera’s should be activated: motion should trigger the recording process)
  • notification (best through Home Assistant) when motion is detected.
  • move to predefined preset locations

Please confirm these requirements work.

Moving to the predefined preset locations definitely works with just the ONVIF integration, and as for motion detection and notifications I’d say the free MotionEye addon and steps mentioned in point 7 of the OP can do what you want (the ONVIF integration does not expose a motion sensor).

That being said, I’ve ultimately preferred switching to Frigate (and getting a Coral stick) for snapshot archival, because MotionEye (at least on its default settings) was taking waaay too many pictures of things like the sun moving across my yard wall and I couldn’t be bothered spending hours/days to tweak it. When Frigate takes a pic, almost all the time there’s something of interest in it :slight_smile:

I don’t record video by default, so someone else should be able to provide better info in that sense, but overall it feels like your use case would be much better served by an NVR (Reolink themselves sell a pretty cheap one), I think Home Assistant is neither a professional security system, nor an NVR, more like an information and notification system for low-risk households…which I think most of ours are, anyway, but I would think twice before putting it in a place where I don’t live which has something valuable in it. It’s great for keeping tabs on the cats, though :slight_smile:

I still need some further assistance for setting up the motion detection svp.
E1 Pro is working nicely, it’s integrated in the Reolink app, integrated in Home Assistant with ONVIF and I also have the glance card working. The next step is the motion detection.

When I try to add the MotionEye integration in HA, the popup complains on invalid URL, though the URL is accessible through eg VLC.
I tried the next URL’s without success:
rtsp://myHAip:554//h264Preview_01_sub
rtsp://myHAip:554//h264Preview_01_main
rtsp://myHAip:554/h264Preview_01_sub
rtsp://myHAip:554/h264Preview_01_main
rtsp://username:pwd@myHAip:554/h264Preview_01_sub
rtsp://username:pwd@myHAip:554/h264Preview_01_main
Plus, I verified that the _sub stream is effectively active (as it was first not the case by default integration with ONVIF).

No log entries are written, so I don’t know why the MotionEye integration won’t accept the URL to the RTSP stream of the E1 Pro camera.

Another question: it’s not clear to me why you need the input_boolean and the sensor as two separate entities. As the MotionEye will change the input_boolean; and that input_boolean can be used as a trigger in an automation; what’s the added value of having another extra sensor for it?

I’m hoping to finish the motion detection with your feedback and I’m looking forward to you reply.

Hi (again),

Already some feedback:
For the E1 Pro, the WebRTC integration is much-much faster. It has a lag / delay corresponding to the Reolink Client app (so 1 second, ~2 seconds max) which is really good.
I changes the Lovelace interface according to OzGav. Thanks OzGav!
The only issue still is that the stream doesn’t appear on the Home Assistant Companion App on my phone. There I get the exception that "custom element doesn’t exist: webrtc-camera. On my computer, the lovelace interface works just fine. Is there an additional library required that is not available on my phone to process/read/display the RTSP stream?

In the meantime I figured out that MotionEye is a separate server/instance that you have to setup. I’m wondering if this can be installed as a docker container on a RPi 4B, 4Gb and as it will perform well enough on this hardware. Anyone any experiences on this? Load on the system if it continuously is processing rtsp stream for detecting motions?

I did the motion detection with FTP, folder watch integration and Telegram. And now i can see all videos in telegram since more than one year.

Great guide. Thank you for your efforts. Worked perfectly for my E1 Pros.

1 Like

@spaccatore Did you get the motion detection working with a sensor in HA? How? Please share your approach, as I am having trouble setting this up with Reolink E1 Pro, Home Assistant 2021.12.7 and MotionEye add-on and MotionEye running as a docker container on a Raspberry Pi 4, 4Gb.

thanks dude!

Hi! Many thanks for this guide, what a work :open_mouth:

I am a bit newbie to all the camera-world, but I have a working Dockered HA running great, and I would love to buy and configure a camera, but only if:

• I can be 200% sure that no data will leave my server (or, put in other words, that the camera will have no internet access and will be fully managed by HA)
  • there is no need to create an account or so on. Just a camera that you plug, you configure in HA, and voilà!

Can you please ensure me that this is the case with the Reolink? or if not, do you guys know of any indoor model that would suit?

Many thanks :smiley:

Glad you liked the guide :slight_smile:

The camera doesn’t require any internet access past the initial point of getting it set up in the Reolink app, but it also doesn’t offer any way to disable internet access itself (the annoying point I mentioned in the P.S. of the guide).

So, for full safety, you just set it up in the app, set it up in HA, add the local HA NTP server addon to always have the correct time in the camera and chop off its internet access by banning it in your router. If you don’t ban it from the internet in your router, it does “phone home” via the process mentioned in the P.S.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply! @johnflorin
Yeah, I was indeed thinking of completely MAC-filtering it in my router anyway, but if I understood correctly, that means that there is no way to use -the camera without at first using their app? even connected via Ethernet and giving IP address via DHCP? :confused:

The guide was initially made for the Zooms, which needed the app for setting the WiFi network, as otherwise they wouldn’t know what to connect to.

In the case of the E1 Pros, I haven’t investigated if there are default settings which could just be applied directly in the HA ONVIF integration, but definitely some things, like the username, password & NTP server need to be set in a Reolink app (like the Windows app), because they have no web UI.

Understood, thanks! :slight_smile:
It’s a shame though that every model seem to be that complicated to keep simple and privacy-centered… ^^’

Hi,

Curiously it doesn’t work for me with entity_id: I had to use device-id: instead, any idea why?

In the server log, it’s said: Unable to find referenced entities camera.cam_salon while this one is ok for the live stream…

Has anything happened to the reolink integration? Mine has disappeared from HA. The PTZ service is also missing. Works fine in the iOS app. It is an E1 Zoom. Any ideas?

Are you referring to the HACS Reolink integration? This guide is not using that, it’s using the ONVIF integration, which is working fine over here at the moment…

Yeah, I was talking about the HACS integration. Thanks for that.

BTW, do you have a view as to the best way to integrate a Reollink E1 Zoom into home assistant?

The way described in the OP is best for my needs, also because I don’t want to have any custom components, they bring unacceptable stability & maintenance challenges from my point of view…I figure that if they did work very well, they’d be in the core, so once they reach the core, I consider them :slight_smile:

1 Like

That sounds like a good idea to me. Think I’ll implement your approach as I am have issues with the integration anyway. Thanks for putting this together.