Reolink POE IP Camera Setup

I too have an RLC-420 and RLC-410.

In hindsight, I’d avoid the RLC-410. Spiders and bugs love to build nests under the ‘roof’ of the RLC-410 camera. RLC-420 is probably less appealing due to not having sharp angles.

Image quality during the day is great. At night is ok.

Motion detection is quite shitty. I couldn’t find a way to be alerted only when people walks in the driveway. I plan to use ML to solve this at some point.

Price compared to other is really competitive

Biggest plus for me: works totally local. no cloud at all.

HA integration wise, the generic ha camera platform was ok, @fwestenberg integration works great

I haven’t researched newest models.

1 Like

What is ML?

Machine Learning. Things like TensorFlow. A way to teach a computer how to infer something.

I’ve been running mine through Blue Iris, that has definitely helped filter out false alarms. It has a TON of options to determine if something should trigger or not. You can have HA pull the streams from BI so HA benefits from the filtered motion as well.

hei thanks, never heard of it. Apparently I would need a windows machine up 24/7 though, which is kind of a deal breaker for me. And the ML is really something I want to study

1 Like

check out the frigate project with a google coral stick: GitHub - blakeblackshear/frigate: NVR with realtime local object detection for IP cameras

2 Likes

I can’t even remember the last time I had a false alarm. I decided to build frigate because no matter what I tried with motion detection, it was never reliable enough to actually integrate into my alarm setup.

2 Likes

this is absolutely great. best santa present of the year!

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

Just purchased four 5MP PoE RLC-410 Cameras. Connectivity to the NVR working correctly. I am running HA I am running Home Assistant 0.103.4 using Docker with the following configuration:

camera:
- platform: reolink_dev
  host: 192.168.1.103
  username: !secret reolink_username
  password: !secret reolink_password
  name: camera
  scan_interval: 5

Getting the following error when trying to add to my HA configuration:

> 2020-01-05 23:41:03 ERROR (SyncWorker_66) [homeassistant.util.package] Unable to install package aiosmtpd==1.2: ERROR: Could not install packages due to an EnvironmentError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/atpublic-1.0.dist-info'
> Consider using the `--user` option or check the permissions.
> 2020-01-05 23:41:03 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.config] Platform error: camera - Requirements for reolink_dev not found: ['aiosmtpd==1.2'].

Any thoughts?

Thanks for any assistance.

kman

Which model of Reolink do you use?

im using RLC-410-5MP and RLC-410-W

Looks like some kind of permission issue hence failed to install aiosmtpd==1.2

I received an RLC-410-5MP as a Christmas present and I am trying to get this component working. My configuration check is reporting the following error…

Platform error camera.reolink_dev - No module named 'haffmpeg'

Any Ideas?

You need to include the ffmpeg integration in your configuration.yaml
Just the line
ffmpeg:

3 Likes

You need to get into the home assistant container
docker exec -it homeassistant /bin/bash
Then
pip install aiosmtp==1.2

That fixed my issue, Thanks

@fwestenberg I use you plugin and its awesome. Thanks for you contribution.

I’m experiencing a small issue which I think is a easy thing to solve.

I added you binary_sensor according to the readme. but I get the following error:

Configuration invalid
Invalid config for [sensor.template]: extra keys not allowed @ data['sensors']['motion_garage']['delay_off']. Got OrderedDict([('seconds', 30)])
value is not allowed for dictionary value @ data['sensors']['motion_garage']['device_class']. Got 'motion'. (See ?, line ?). Please check the docs at https://home-assistant.io/integrations/template/

My config looks like this:

sensor:
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      motion_garage:
        friendly_name: Camera garage
        device_class: motion
        entity_id: camera.garage
        value_template: "{{ is_state('camera.garage', 'motion') }}"
        delay_off:
          seconds: 30

You should use binary_sensor at line 1.

1 Like

Feeling like a dork now…

Thanks for the help…

Hi @fwestenberg ,
Since this weekend I’ve got 4 streams running with your component.
Before that I had the general camera component.
Could it be that 4 streams are too much?
After one day 2 streams break down. Is there a way, without rebooting hass.io to get the stream connected again?
Thanks!