Reolink Video Doorbell "Plus" Version

Hi there!

I would like to share with you my approach to integrating the state-of-the-art Reolink Doorbell into my Home Automation (Home Assistant) ecosystem.

Upon evaluating various smart video doorbells, I identified the Reolink Doorbell PoE version as a strong contender due to its exceptional features and capabilities. However, my particular use case required a more sophisticated approach than the default installation, and I was also concerned about the potential theft of the product once installed.

To address this issue, I designed a robust shield using an anti-theft bolt system and 3D printed it with a special ASA filament that is highly resistant to outdoor conditions. The shield not only secures the doorbell to the wall support but also provides an angled 20Âş tilt for optimal coverage of the door area.

Moreover, I identified a lack of integration of the doorbell with electric locks and keyless systems. To address this issue, I leveraged the power of ESPHOME, which is a reliable way to expand system capabilities and is fully compatible with Home Assistant. I integrated a simple ESP32, a relay board to activate the electric door lock, and a grow R503 fingerprint sensor to create a keyless system that seamlessly works with the Reolink Doorbell.

Finally, to ensure optimal protection from rain and direct sunlight without interfering with the image area, I integrated a little cover with the shield, resulting in a perfect balance between security and practicality.

Here you can find the starting point, the design solution and the final product installation images for a better understanding of this “extended” approach:

Another challenge to solve was to replace the internal intercom system. This was easy through the integration with an Android tablet. This tablet displays a customized dashboard that includes information from the Reolink Doorbell, enabling me to conveniently monitor activity at my front door from anywhere in my home. A new 3d print wall support to integrate the tablet and a push LED button for manual electric door lock opening is included (this was to increase the WAF of the solution in case of the HA or Tablet outage!)

As the official Reolink integration in Home Assistant does not currently support two-way audio, I have configured the system to utilize the Reolink app to handle video calls from the doorbell. However, I am continuously exploring new solutions to improve the overall functionality of the system, including the possibility of integrating a two-way audio feature through third-party plugins in Home Assistant.

By replacing the internal intercom system with an Android tablet and customizing a dashboard to display the Reolink Doorbell’s information, I have significantly improved the accessibility and convenience of my home automation system.

I am thrilled with the outcome so far, and I look forward to exploring further advancements, such as the addition of a small LED display to provide information to visitors in future iterations… :thinking:

Happy to share any technical details or info with you guys. If you’ve got any questions, just ask!

9 Likes

On your wish to have two-way-audio, please have a look here:

Thanks!

We’ll take a look at

Thanks for you detailed explanation @juande !!!

I am in the same page that you, but starting with the installation, so I have some questions.

I am also concerned about the theft. Can you please share the anti-theft bolts that you used, and where you installed the bolt/s that secure the doorbell?

Regarding the integration with the electric door lock (is my next step in the project), my understanding is that only a relay is necessary. Why are you using an ESP32?

To solve de lack of two-way audio in HA, I also use the Reolink App in the wallpanel (great idea the button integrated in the wallpanel case).
I use Fully Kiosk; at start of Fully, I open both Reolink App (in the background) and HA (in the foreground); when someone press the doorbell button (visitor sensor on) an automation send HA to the background. After a fixed time, HA comes back again to the foreground.
I am interested in your solution. How do you manage Reolink App?

Finally can you share the 3D models that you use?

Hopefully, as this is the Year of the Voice in HA, soon we will have a native, easy and robust solution for the two-way audio. :crossed_fingers:

Hi Nacho

Glad you are interested as well.

For the solution I used anti-theft Torx bolts from amazon. Here is the link I used:

With regards the ESP32, I needed a way to “smarttify” my previous electric door lock that was installed at home. I realized that it is only needed to connect the lock terminal to ground so I created a small device with an ESP32 wemos D1 mini and a relay board to do just this.

Then you create the ESPhome configuration and deploy this to home assistant so now it is automated with some automations I can launch when some rings the doorbell. Pretty straightforward

The button I included in the wall panel is just a direct switch for fast opening if you are in front of the tablet. Although Possible, there is no need to pass through home assistant to open the door. Also, in case of HA outage, I can always open the door anyway!.

For the wall panel I’m using also Fully kiosk, but could not manage to bring foreground and background the reolink app yet (I’m interested in your solution if you are kind to share). So I used a 3rd party app called “Notification Open App” that every time an event is detected in the reolink app because of a visitor ringing the doorbell, it opens the app and puts in the foreground. There is no return to Fully-Kiosk yet, so I have to do this manually at the moment

The 3d models are available at thingiverse. Please use the following link:

No problems so far since I installed this setup, and pretty happy with it!

Let me know if you have any question

Best

1 Like

Thanks for all the explanation and the 3d models.
Regarding the manage of the Reolink app in the foreground and background I try to explain my configuration.

Configuration in Fully Kiosk (I hope don’t forget any option)
Universal Launcher > Select Items to Show > Add Application: Reolink (com.mcu.reolink)
Universal Launcher > Application to Run on Start in Background: com.mcu.reolink
Kiosk Mode > Enable Kiosk Mode: on
Kiosk Mode > App Whitelist: com.mcu.reolink
Other Settings > Consider Device in Use while Using Another App: on
Other Settings > Regain Focus Timer: 45

Automation in HA

alias: Tocan a la puerta
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id:
      - binary_sensor.videoportero_visitor
    to: "on"
condition: []
action:
  - type: turn_on
    device_id: 9403f2dfa222c952564d21a6d79cb417
    entity_id: switch.tab_7_wifi_screen
    domain: switch
  - device_id: eabc3d548ac6eaf311e5befcc7a1994a
    domain: button
    entity_id: button.tab_7_wifi_send_to_background
    type: press
mode: single

The behavior is:
When someone ring to the Reolink doorbell, the automation turn on the screen of the wallpanel and send HA to background.
After 45 seconds without interaction with the Reolink App, HA comes back again to the foreground.
If you want to come back to HA before 45 seconds, just press the home button (the central square icon in the bottom bar in the wallpanel). I use Kiosk Mode, so my “home” is HA.

I hope it helps to you.