Replace IR Fan pcb with Ifan03

Hi, i see this cables going to the fan motor with these labels

AC in L (Brown)
AC in N (Black)
To Motor L (Yellow)
To Motor N (White)
2 white & red cables connected to capacitor (coming from the fan motor)

This fan doesn’t come with a light

From this diagram, it looks like like I’ll just need to connect to ifan03 like this

AC in L (Brown) → ifan03 L in
AC in N (Black) → ifan03 N in
To Motor L (Yellow) → ifan03 Fan cable
To Motor N (White) → ifan03 COM cable

But now I’m not sure what to do with the cables connected to the capacitor. Could I just remove the capacitor?

Hi Shaq
If you have disconnected the 2 motor leads and the line leads from that switch they all lead to and connected them to just the ifan, then the capacitor is not connected to anything and can just stay in case you want to convert back.

I would cap all the leads going to that switch just so they stay out of trouble and leave them there.

Since I am giving advice about a mains power thing, I’ll add this for CYA.

Disclaimer

:warning: DANGER OF ELECTROCUTION :warning:

If your device connects to mains electricity (AC power) there is danger of electrocution if not installed properly. If you don’t know how to install it, please call an electrician.

Beware: certain countries prohibit installation without a licensed electrician present

Remember: SAFETY FIRST. It is not worth the risk to yourself, your family and your home if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. Never tinker or try to flash a device using the serial programming interface while it is connected to MAINS ELECTRICITY (AC power).

Hey,
Sorry but the capacitor is not there to ensure voltage goes up in order to have the right torque to start the AC motor on a single phase?

The capacitor is the speed control element in the original fan speed control (that you disconnected). There are 2 caps that replace it inside your ifan device.

Ok great thanks!!!
I am looking into something similar!

Thanks, so the capacitor is for speed control like the other capacitors on the IR fan pcb except this one is outside the fan case (ignore the highlighted part)

IMG_4640

IMG_4642

Well without having it in hand I can’t be 100%, but I believe that is what it is.
What can I say.
Like the warning says, if your not sure, ask a qualified person that you trust, not someone in a chat forum. I would be confident turning that on, however.