Replacing Life360

I am currently working to replace Life360 with Home Assistant and have made major headway. I am actually probably 85% of the way there using Node-Red. One of the last hurdles I have currently is does anyone know of a way to display a map and put sensors on the map the will dynamically move? IE The mapping feature from Life360. It’s the last piece of the puzzle but I haven’t found anything that does this yet. The front-end map will show the current location but it doesn’t update as the sensor moves and that’s the part I’m having an issue with.

Below is a front end button card I built specifically to display locational info.

It should update as the entity moves. What type of entity are you using, and how often does it update in Home Assistant as its source (phone, whatever) moves?

I suspect your issue is the updating of the entity, not the updating of its position on the map.

It’s using the device_tracker HA Companion App.

Well, like I said, the issue is how often that device_tracker entity updates, not the map. Whether you use the default Map in the side bar, or use a Map card, it should update as the entities shown on it update.

Have you checked how often the device_tracker entity updates, and taken steps to improve the frequency of updates?

I personally can’t help you with that because I don’t use it. I use three other types of HA device_tracker integrations: Google Maps, GPSLogger & Life360 (all of which using custom versions I’ve created.) I can tell you that the icons on the map move as the entities update. And, very recently, I’ve gotten the Life360 entities to update just as quickly as they do in the Life360 app.

I thought the life360 integration is dead, or is that the custom part you are referring too?

I’m reviving it. It’s not ready for HACS yet. More details starting here:

1 Like