Replacing Tasmota firmware with EsphomeLib

@DavidFW1960 Have you come further with your sonoff engraver? best regards

No. In the end I decided to stick with Tasmota.

Really?

really I have no idea how to make a Sonoff RF bridge work (sending and receiving) with ESphome

Have you already tried espeasy or espurma?

You have posted multiple times in the thread that describes how: Sonoff RF Bridge with ESPHOME?

Yes but it offered no advantages over Tasmota and MQTT and I found it was too hard to get my switches working the same as they did with Tasmota. My only reason for trying actually was when there were issues with the core Tasmota was using otherwise I wouldn’t have even tried it.

Hello benefits? Actually both of them are running more stable compared to tasmota and both are currently getting better involved in home assistant in my opinion. I’ve only had tasmota on my devices until recently, but since I just had trouble with tasmota (regular crashes, even though they can not be included), I switched to espeasy and espurma. To be honest I think tasmota is already overrated. Although espeasy does not look so nice, it does the job and espurma looks good and has as many options as tasmota.

I would have to say that about Esphomelib actually. You’d think it’s the second coming…

But it is.

1 Like

Blockquote

Yes you are right. I had already installed esphome and must say that esphome is only suitable for sensors and not for switch or lights. But only my opinion.

I have flashed ESPhome to a number of plug-in smart switches which others have used Tasmota on and they work perfectly. I have also used ESPhome flashed onto NodeMCU’s and Wemos D1 mini’s to run LED strips etc which are working great too. At the end of the day, it’s personal preference I guess, everyone can argue one way or the other forever.

http://www.montypython.net/scripts/argument.php

1 Like

I use it perfectly with lots of switches, and few lights.
Tasmota is great, I find Esphome superior because of the integration with HASS, and that you don’t need mqtt (nice, but it does break once in a while)

People say this but you need an addon for MQTT and also for Esphome and both use an integration… I’m not seeing any ‘saving’ at all. Any saving for me is negated by having to build individual firmware for every device.

My MQTT is rock solid even on latest versions although some people do seem to come to grief with it for reasons sometimes not their fault. In any case it’s a personal preference.

Indeed it is personal preference. But I think the strength of esphome is probably just what you say - flexible enough to build individual sensors with a great variety of hardware, and extensibility.

All the options have their adherents and their advantages/disadvantages. #horses4courses.

I have a script I use to configure the set options in Tasmota but even though devices are thus configured individually, it’s the same firmware in all of them. I personally don’t find individual firmware for every device to be any kind of advantage. #horses4courses.

1 Like

Surely this is no different to how I have the same ESPhome firmware in all of my devices of the same type though…? eg: I have 8 Kogan smart plugs with power monitoring which all have identical firmware other than the hard-coded IP addresses and device names. In saying that, I could have left the IP address stuff to my router to sort out and HA the naming, but I like having things set in stone by the device.

So not the same firmware in all devices of the same kind then? I’m assuming you set the name and ip address when you compile the firmware? (I get you don’t HAVE to do it like that)

well, correct, hence the ‘other than’ :wink: What I’m getting at though is that it could have been the same in all. I would imagine that Tasmota is no different in being able to either hard-code IP addresses or leave them to be router assigned…