Report on Philips Hue unreachable events

Is there any way to log when any of my hue bulbs are unreachable? Some times it happens (Really happy with the upgraded component that now makes it visible though the web interface)

I would like to be able to look back over time to see if there is any sort of a trend as to when my bulbs are unavailable.

Hi @kiwinol

Did you find something for your issue? It looks like that I am also in the exact same situation.
I have two lights (always the same two) that sometimes are displayed as unavailable therefore my automation got stuck because they can’t operate on the lights.
If I try to control them via the Hue App, however, I can turn them on and off, changing the colour without any problem.

It sounds like you have a slightly different issue. When HA shows my light as unavailable I also get the same issue from the Hue App. I just want to be able to go back over time to try to work out trends as I suspect that there is something I am turning on that is causing interference.

Same here, I already configured allow_unreachable: false since I can still control the lights from hue even if it’s unreachable.However, that option seems does not work.

I wonder how the the hub and or homeassistant comes to the conclusion that the light is unreachable if it responds to commands. Maybe the light receives and acts on commands but doesn’t return any confirmation?

Well… I noticed that homeassistant says unreachable but I can use the Hue app.
I am not sure, I think it is someway related to heavy traffic on the net.
I don’t have a confirmation about it but a couple of times it happened while I was updating a PC connected via wifi and where the reception was not really good. Also my internet connection sucks.

How are your HA and Hue Hubs connected? I have mine both wired to my router and assuming your connected to wifi on your mobile device it, The Hue app should be connecting locally directly to your Hue hub. I dont think your WAN (Internet) connection should have anything to do with it (but I am just speculating)

I think its more likely something causing interference with the Zigbee connection between the hub and the bulbs at least in my case but not sure how to confirm :slight_smile:

Any luck fixing this problem? I have the exact same thing and no clue as to how it could be fixed…

Here’s my config for my hue bridge. Adding allow_unreachable: true fixed it for me

hue:
  bridges:
    - host: 192.168.1.10
      filename: phue.conf
      allow_unreachable: true
      allow_hue_groups: true
1 Like

there are serious issues with the latest version of implementing Hue in Hassio, causing unreachable or unavailable lights.
But nevertheless you can check if this is really the case, or simply an error.

create a rest sensor for reachability, which is a property of the lights on the Hue Hub:

sensor:
  - platform: command_line
    name: Driveway reachable
    command: curl -X GET http://ip-address/api/key/lights/12/
    value_template: >
      {{value_json.state.reachable}}

You can use this for further automating and sensors etc

binary_sensor:
    outside_daylight_sensor:
      friendly_name: 'Outside daylight sensor'
      device_class: light
      value_template: >
        {% if is_state('sensor.driveway_reachable', 'False') %}
         True
        {% else %}
          False
        {% endif %}

- id: Set Driveway light
    alias: "Set Driveway light"
    initial_state: 'on'
    trigger:
      platform: state
      entity_id: sensor.driveway_reachable
      to: 'True'
      for:
        seconds: 30
    condition:
      condition: state
      entity_id: light.driveway
      state: 'on'
    action:
      - service: light.turn_on
        data:
          entity_id: light.driveway
          hs_color: [36,66]
          brightness: 130
          transition: 5
      - condition: state
        entity_id: input_boolean.notify_notify
        state: 'on'
      - service: notify.notify
        data_template:
         message: '{{as_timestamp(now()) | timestamp_custom("%X") }}: Driveway is safely lit.'
1 Like