Repositories have stopped working

As what I’ve read, I cannot run Debian on a pi. must be raspbian, which is what I have…

It would seem my options are

1. Leave the thing alone and continue to back it up … just in case one day it dies and I need to salvage my z-wave network
  2. Convert the pi to Hassio. This again limits my access to the core OS, which has F’d me before and I had to rebuild
  3. Move the HA setup over to a linux (Debian to be supported) build running on my server, supervised.

I actually alread have a ubuntu build running in my setup, primarily for node-red. The reason for the Pi was the z-wave stick that I wanted to put in the living room as the server is in a closet and z-wave doesn’t work. I may try to get a repeater and see if I can get rid of the pi4

I believe the RaspberryOS (not Raspbian) 64bit version is detected by HA as Debian and you might be able to run supervised supported on that… but I guess someone may flick a switch and that could be unsupported in the future as well.

So if you want it on the Pi why not follow the Home Assistant Operating System instal method:

Raspberry Pi - Home Assistant

Easy peasy and still fully supported including add ons.

“You, the user, have very little control over the Home Assistant Operating System and it is not based on a regular Linux distribution like Ubuntu. If you want to use your system for anything other than Home Assistant than this isn’t for you. The Home Assistant Operating System is great for beginners to get started though.”

Basically, the HA-OS doesn’t allow me to access to teh base system, which is what happened to me before running hassio. Something got corrupted and I was locked out of the system as I couldn’t gain access to the core files. I tried taking the SD card out and reading on another system with an editor. back and forth, lots of time wasted and Id like to avoid that…

Thanks @David for that idea too. I may avoid it was I wouldn’t want to go unsupported.

At the end of the day. this entire issue stemmed from something randomly breaking in my environement. I may just turn off all uprades and cross my fingers that the system stays alive while I attempt to build the VM environement and test the z-wave stick passthrough to the VM…

Thanks all

Now? The only supported version of Linux for Home Assistant Supervised is Debian and that has been true for close to a year. You’ve been using Raspbian on borrowed time.

Why not? I have an RPI3 running Home Assistant Supervised on Debian 10; it works well.

Yes, Now. As in currently. Not sure why it feels like i’m getting flogged here… as an end user and not a developer, it seems like this a shed ton of work to keep this system alive…

I’m just goin to hope this thing doesn’t break again and leave it alone while I plan for another option, possibly on my VM system… Thanks for the insight…

Sorry to be repetitive but run debian

I repeat, it has been unsupported for almost a year. Not “currently” but for almost 12 months.

During that time, users running Home Assistant Supervised on Ubuntu, Raspbian, etc were doing so at the risk that one day their system would become incompatible (and the development team would not solve it because they only support Debian).

To put it another way, you’re lucky it worked for as long as it did.

We’re all end-users here; developers rarely visit this forum.

Thanks or the insights.

Would be great if I can just stay on the current version, disable auto upgrades (ie. shit that breaks) and avoid these major headaches of having to rip into all kinds of stuff that I don’t need to.

I’ll heed the advice here and look at Debian. As mentioned, the main purpose of running this was for z-wave sensors. I can only cross my figers that the z-wave stick plugged into the server in the closet gets enough signal.

Thanks for the help everyone.

You can use debian on the same hardware you already use, the pi.

Make a snapshot
Install debian
Install supervised
Restore snapshot.

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll try and fingers cross all my hours of z-wave, node-red, tiles and such make it over :slight_smile: