Repository: OctoPrint

Fredrik:

I don’t know how to express my gratitude for your work. It saved me from total frustration after spending most of the weekend trying to make a Monoprice Select Mini V2 work under my Windows 10 / Mac El Capitan / macOS Mojave machines and even under Docker containers and Virtual Machines on all those OSs, all versions of Cura, serial to TCP bridges, etc, etc. I even considered that printer’s USB was faulty and I haven’t able to get a replacement microSD card that works on this thing.

My last resort was to use the only Raspberry Pi I have which is deployed at home.

I can confirm your build “Slim” worked on the current Hass.io. The only extra required for a Monoprice Select Mini V2 is the Malyan/Monoprice Connection Fix (0.1.1) plug in.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

1 Like

@fredrikbaberg

Used your “Slim” version add-on. Works absolutely fine on my NUC connected to my Ender 3 Pro. Just updated it today to OctoPrint 1.3.12 without any issues.

Thanks for putting this together.

1 Like

I just installed the Slim version (as the normal version was grayed-out) and it enables me to control the printer. Thanks @fredrikbaberg

However, every time I open the UI on port 5000 (or refresh) it gives me the on-boarding process of Octoprint. I tried to update from 1.3.11 to 1.4 (stable) which did not succeed.
Anyone have tips or tricks to prevent the on-boarding from Octoprint?

1 Like

If you complete the onboarding it should not happen again, I had that issue at the beginning (as you can see in this thread) but I thought it was resolved. Does the file /config/octoprint/config.yaml exist? Could you see if it works with the “dev” version?

Update to 1.4 (stable) should not be possible from the addon, I’ll have to make a new build. There were some changes between 1.3 and 1.4, I’m not sure if everything will just work, but I’ll see what I can do.

I have not used the different versions properly, the default version does not install (I did not want to break for previous users), but I probably have to move things around a bit if I’m to keep this updated.

1 Like

hi i’m new to setting up this plugin. Do i need to have a octoprint set up and function to use this? Or can i install the plug in and just use it. I’ve install but unable to load anything thru :5000 port. Neither do i see any printer detected. Currently installed the Octoprint (slim).

1 Like

The idea of this addon is that you can run OctoPrint directly on the same device as Home Assistant, instead of a separate device. The addon does not contain an integration with Home Assistant (this is done by https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/octoprint/ ).
When the addon has been started, there should be a button to the web UI from the addon page, otherwise you should be able to access it from <home assistant IP/hostname>:5000.

1 Like

I’ve tried starting the plugin. However I was unable to access through <home assistant IP/hostname>:5000. Any reason what’s stopping that from working?

1 Like

Could you paste output from the log, or create an issue on GitHub (https://github.com/fredrikbaberg/hassio-addons)? It would be a good start for me to look at what’s wrong.
Would also be good to know what platform you´re using (Raspberry Pi, PC, something else).

1 Like

Just a heads-up: I’ve renamed the normal version Experimental. Since that version has not been used in a while, I hope it does not cause issues.
The Experimental version may or may not work, changes can break it. I’ve spent some time re-writing the build but have not tested it.
Also, by some reason it is much larger than previous version (possibly due to change of base image).

2 Likes

@fredrikbaberg, after a few reboots the onboarding menu is gone.
Sorry for the trouble.
I am on 0.0.4 (slim)
Just to be clear for others: O rebooted HASS or the supervisor (not only home assistant)
This can be found of you press “supervisor” in the menu left and click reboot on the “system” tab.

And to save time for others: you can add a shortcut on the menu panel to Octoprint by adding this to configuration.yaml, do not forget to change the ip address to your home assistant address

panel_iframe:
  dashboard:
    title: 'OctoPrint'
    url: 'http://192.168.1.115:5000/'
    icon: mdi:printer-3d-nozzle
1 Like

Not familiar with github and how to use it yet. I will try to figure it out and create an issue there. I’m using hassio on raspberry pi 3b+

Can I ask where to obtain the output log? I’m quite new to hassio and have been out of touch with it. Hope you are able to point me to the right place!

1 Like

It is ok for me that you add information here if you don’t want to figure out Github right now. What I need to know:

• Platform (you wrote Raspberry Pi 3b+, that´s enough).
  • Version of Home Assistant Core (latest should be 0.109.6, I just want to know which version you are on to check if there has been breaking changes).
  • Which version of the addon did you install, Slim or Dev? (There is now also Experimental, which need you to specify port in configuration, but I don´t think that was available when you first wrote).
  • Log output, should be available from the addon page. In Home Assistant:
    1. Supervisor
    2. Select the addon from Add-ons list in Dashboard
    3. Change to Log tab if you´re using the latest version, it was previously at the bottom of the page.

The log should start with something like this:

Copy data
Launch
2020-05-10 10:00:39,929 - octoprint.startup - INFO - ******************************************************************************
2020-05-10 10:00:39,932 - octoprint.startup - INFO - Starting OctoPrint 1.3.11
2020-05-10 10:00:39,934 - octoprint.startup - INFO - ******************************************************************************
1 Like

These are the details you have requested.

Platform: R Pi 3b+
Verision fo Home assistant core: 0.109.6
Version of Octoprint: Slim
Log output:
2020-05-11 14:47:51,772 - octoprint.server.heartbeat - INFO - Server heartbeat <3
2020-05-11 15:02:51,775 - octoprint.server.heartbeat - INFO - Server heartbeat <3

Update;

I got it fixed realised my ports have been routing to wrong device all these while. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Sorry I’m faced with another issue this is the log I got from installing or updating Octoprint to 1.4. I wasn’t able to install or do any update.

2020-05-11 16:02:35,207 ! You are using pip version 18.1, however version 20.1 is available.
2020-05-11 16:02:35,209 ! You should consider upgrading via the ‘pip install --upgrade pip’ command.

any solution?

1 Like

The older version of pip should not be the problem, does it say something else in the log after that pip message?
I did not expect it to be possible to update OctoPrint from the addon, but it might work. Did you try to manually restart the addon afterwards?
I might fix be able to fix the pip message in a later version, but it would need a full reinstall of the addon.

1 Like

I manage to get some plug in to install. But i noticed that when I plug in my printer printer MK2.5s. It connects but after while this error came up and I’m unable to conect the printer until I restart the server.

“There was a communication error while talking to your printer. Please consult the terminal output and octoprint.log for details. Error: Too many consecutive timeouts, printer still connected and alive?”

Also when I do not press connect, with the printer plug in to the USB on my raspberry PI that is running HASSIO, it seems to trigger my printer to reset on random occsaions. I understand that when I first initiate a connection that will happen. But this is resetting every now and then even when I’m not doing any to my printer other then having it plugged into my RPi. Any idea what’s casuing this issue?

1 Like

It´s not something I´ve encountered, so I´m not sure. The two guesses I have are:

• Another addon or integration trying to access the same device,
  • Hardware issue, possibly either USB cable or power supply to the Raspberry Pi.

Perhaps try disabling auto-reconnect in OctoPrint (I assume there is such setting) and look at the log file inside OctoPrint (not for the addon, but from OctoPrint UI)?

1 Like

After spending way more time than I expected on it, I have now published an update to Experimental (0.3.0-beta-0).

• Python2-based (I tried Python3 for a while but am now back on Python2, not all plugins support Python3)
  • Ingress enabled (still possible to specify port to enable external access, e.g. for Cura)
  • Configuration stored in a separate folder (octoprint_experimental) - should not interfere with existing install (as long as you don´t use the same port at the same time)
  • Corrected a bug related to Backup/Restore (a path was incorrect leading to huge backup files and prevented restore)
  • Corrected bug which made Addon log output stop on restart from within OctoPrint
  • Size might actually be smaller than before

Please try it and report any bugs. If it seems to work well it will replace current versions (I’ll probably remove Experimental from the name, possibly deprecate Slim and Dev).

Corrections:

• Changed from 0.3.0-alpha-10 to 0.3.0-beta-0
  • Tested with Cura 4.6.1 and printed with connected Ender 3 Pro

I don’t have auto-reconncet enabled. Perhaps I have something triggering the USB, need to dig into it. As for power source its the main original pi plug, so i don’t think that’s the issue too.

1 Like

I just signed up to thank you for providing this Add-On. It’s working perfectly (Used the Dev version) with the latest (0.110.3) HassOS (3.13).

A little unclear at the moment is if it is safe/possible to upgrade the Octoprint from 1.3.9 to the latest 1.4.0 (stable) from within the Add-On?

One tip I have for others (maybe) is to use the Additional Serial Port configuration in Octoprint and enter the path to the device by serial: /dev/serial/by-id/usb-1a86_USB_Serial-if00-port0 (in my case, please check yours in Supervisor->System->Hardware) rather than relying on ttyUSB0 or ttyUSB1 as that is not a guaranteed identifier that survives reboots if you have more than one USB device.

1 Like