Request: BLE Beacon Tracking Support in Home Assistant Companion App

I’d like to have the Home Assistant companion app able to track bluetooth devices, specifically bluetooth beacons (like one from an ESPHome device ESP32 Bluetooth Low Energy Beacon — ESPHome for example), but ideally the flexibility to scan for and track any bluetooth or BLE devices and pipe that info into Home Assistant would be super helpful.

I’d like it to support both stationary beacons and mobile beacons, by that I mean…

I’d like to be able to tell the HA app the BT device is stationary so that I can define a zone associated with the beacon and updating my devices zone location when I’m within range of it.

I’d also to tell it a beacon is a mobile beacon, like for example a beacon in my backpack or on my bicycle, or in my wallet, or on my keys. I’d like to associate a beacon with a tracked device and anytime my phone sees that beacon it updated the location of that device to match my phone’s known location.

I know HA doesn’t currently have a great infrastructure for device tracking, Ideally they add a " Tracked Devices" section that is basically a clone of the “Person” tracking section. For now I’d expect this feature just to use the devices defined in the known_devices.yaml, preferably with the ability to easily add new devices from the app so users don’t have to pre-setup their known_devices.yaml before they can use this feature.

Seeing that the “vote” button didn’t show up after I posted, I’m guessing I’ve put this feature request in the wrong section, sorry about that mods :sweat_smile: please move it if it should be in another place.

for the android app feature requests are actually placed in the repo, but first check for existing requests

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll go head over there and see if it’s there and chime in on it if it is, and start a new request if it’s not :+1:

1 Like