Request - Planar diesel heater control

Hi Folks

I’m wondering if the following is possible using a ESP8266 or ESP32.

I have a planar heater in my HA camper van. The controls are currently operated by a LCD button panel. I want to be able to control it via HA if at all possible. The manufacturer offers a SIM card based controller.

The link above is to a page that has reversed engineered the serial protocol, but I don’t have a clue what all the code means :see_no_evil:. Could anybody assist me? Willing to donate some funds (seen as it’s Christmas :crazy_face::crazy_face:)

Couple of links here.

1. As above page 1 of reverse engineering https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/grimoire314.wordpress.com/2018/08/22/planar-diesel-heater-controller-reverse-engineering/amp/

2. Page 2 of reverse engineering. https://grimoire314.wordpress.com/2019/03/21/autoterm-planar-diesel-heater-controller-reverse-engineering-part-2/

3. Manual to the manufacturers simcom controller.

Thanks

1 Like

I’ve got a Planar heater in the boat. Haven’t set up HA there yet, but now that you mention it…

Anyway, HA or not, I’d also be interested in alternatives to the thermostat which comes with the Planar. I’ll be following this thread. Thanks for the links!

Thanks Tom, i’m sure it will be possible, have you any experience on the content of what is in the links i have provided?

Like you say, doesnt neccaserilly have to be in HA but if it could be setup on a ESP with IP access it would benefit us no end.

Could anybody else have any input on this? or could anybody advise of maybe a alternative forum that could help, maybe arduino pages or similar?

:+1:

I just used the QSTART Modem @frank451
The Modem is plug n’play.
Communication works via SMS to/from the Planar Heater.

SMS is pretty ugly, i know :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Im using an SMS-Services API to send/receive SMS to/from heater.

Tell me if you need a list of commands.

Thinking about an Integration into HA…

Can you integrate this into HA?

1 Like

I’d love to see this too.

FYI, Planar is the Russian version. I don’t think they use the same controller as the Chinese ones. At least, my Planar controller doesn’t look anything like them. I’d be happy to be proven wrong though!

The integration I mentioned above is for all chinese heaters with rf remote control

Hey,
I found this USB Adapter | Pekaway - VANPI the AIO CamperUnit it ist a usb to Autotherm / Planar adapter.

does anyone have an idea how to use this with homeassistant? the raspberry also has usb connections

1 Like

Credit to the author.

https://helloworld.schlussdienst.net/blog/hacking-autoterm-planar-2d

Just needs converting into ESPhome code for a ESP32 using the 3 uarts if this is possible. Believe the ESP32 has 3 uarts but one is reserved for flashing. Or use the at mega as the author as done. But they are more expensive and native ESPhome would be better for HA.

Is anyone capable to convert. Willing to test with my planar heater.

Thanks all

4 Likes

Hey @frank451 it sounds really good :slight_smile: I hope there is someone who can help us. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would also like to see this happen.

1 Like

Guys! Go show your interest on this on my GitHub feature request if you are interested in this integration.

1 Like

hey thanks for the hint but it is not for the Planar but for your China heating if I see it correctly

HI @frank451 did you find any solution?

What I have done,

Open the LCD panel,

Solder onto the back of the contacts for each button.
Use a ESP to simulate pushing the button.

Then create a remote, automations etc.

Any news here for a simple to use solution to inject the command and monitor commands from the pu27 controller?

I would also be happy to integrate my PLANAR heater to HA.

1 Like

This will not work for the AutoTerm heaters. They do not have RF module, only serial communication on the wire harness from the remote panel.