Rescue mode ? .. Over my head - Virtual Machine and virtualbox - docker issue?

Hi All

I’m going to have to apologise for not really understanding linux/docker etc… i have succesfully managed to install home assistant using the guide

and it has been running fine for months. Then the power went out, it rebooted and now i get an error on boot

“You are in rescue mode”

I’m at a loss really. Theres a number of errors listed when i type “journalctl -xb” as instructed. Unfortunately i can’t copt the text, so ive attached a screenshots of that also.

I appreciate it’s not user friendly to review but hoping someone can help me rescue my install. Obviously because i’m an idiot all my backups are within the same machine.

Many thanks

This might help, although it just redirects elsewhere. Failing all else you could create an issue there on github, although there are already a bunch with “You are in rescue mode”, so maybe see if one fits the bill.

Linux does this when:

• wrong kernel (I guess drivers in windows speak)
  • incompatible settting(happens when boot up wrong)

If you properly restart the host machine and properly restart the VM It may correct itself. Sometimes unexpected reboots cause issues on restart that are correct when reboot all.

If restart doesn’t help, This is not that big a deal to fix if you know a little Linux and can read the logs BUT you don’t seem to know a little Linux. That said, usually I find that you just need to tell it which kernel to use when booting when this error occur after sudden power loss.

I don’t do VMs but I expect it may be faster for you to rebuild VM and restore a backup of HA config vs you figuring out the cause. You should be able to grab the existing config folder from the VM, I expect, making sure you get all the hidden files if you don’t have a backup. Rescue mode should give you enough access to get to the HA config