Reset energy meter

I hve a couple Aeon HEM devices (clamp energy meters), and would like for Home Assistant to reset the kwh meter. Any way to do this?

1 Like

I’m also wondering whether it is possible to reset the accumulated energy consumption value of power metering Z-Wave devices from HA.

I have looked every where, tried a few thing with no luck. I see that has been 5 month and no other reply. I guess no one know, not even Aeotec.

I used to do this when I was using a Vera HUB. I haven’t added it in HA but this may help.

Perhaps someone can look at how Openhab resets the meter, to add the functionality to HomeAssistant. In my Openhab items file, the following resets the meter:

Switch energy_home_kWh_reset (EnergyMonthlyReset) {channel=“zwave:device:db0f6a55:node4:meter_reset”}

I apologize if reviving old threads is discouraged on this forum, but I have a solution for this problem.

In order to reset the cumulative kWh in the Aeon Labs Home Energy Meter you need to call the service zwave.reset_node_meters with the data {"node_id": <node>}. (For example, in my case my HEM is Node 2 so I send the service data {"node_id": 2}. The moment I called it is reflected in this graph of my history logs:
Capture

I made an automation with no trigger to see if it would work. In my automations.yaml, it looks like this:

- action:
  - data:
      node_id: 2
    service: zwave.reset_node_meters
  alias: Reset Home Energy Meter kWh
  condition: []
  id: '1513310745263'
  trigger:
  - event_data: {}
    event_type: ''
    platform: event

When I trigger this manually from the UI it resets the cumulative kWh on my HEM to zero. Now, if I can only find a way for this to automatically reset at the start of each billing period.

Hope this helps!

11 Likes

This worked perfectly for me, thanks!

@rstanley - I think this is an oldish thread, but I cannot get that to work. I issued the command, but it is still counting. I don’t see anything in the logs so not sure where to go. Is that ‘1513310745263’ number something specific to your install or is that across the board?

@danodemano You will need to adjust this to fit your device names etc. If you are using the automation editor, it will add the id: number.

Yeah I half figured it out. Not sure what is up with the automation code posted. I did change the node-id and it still wasn’t working. I moved it over into Node-Red anyway since that’s where most of my automations now live and this worked like a charm:

The automation code I posted was just what the built-in automation utility created when I gave it minimal configuration with no trigger. The long string of numbers is just the auto generated name. I made it no frills as an example because I just wanted to show what the service and data sections looked like.

If you’re used to using node red this method is probably like trying to build a house with a rock for a hammer.

Been using this great for over a year and just switched to zwavejs but we no longer have that service as a option. Would love to get this working again as its the cornerstone to my power usage tab on my dashboard without it I cant track daily and monthly usage.

2 Likes

Hi,
well I’m first time HA user. I moved some devices (wall plugs) from my other home automation system and unfortunately they have some data in them. And I need counter to start from 0.
So as I understand now with zwave_js there is no option to reset node meters ?

In release 2021.04 you’ll be able to use a low level zwave_js.set_value service call to reset a meter value. You can determine the value ID (service call data) needed to set the value by looking at the downloadable dump file, or if using zwavejs2mqtt you can reset meters from the control panel and also lookup the value ID.

2 Likes

For now I have hard-reset all my wall plugs.
Anyhow, like I said this is my second day with HA. And I start to appreciate all functions. But I also have to say as a user coming from Jeedom that there are a lot of things that I assumed are will be available in UI but they are not. Example is could be parameters for z-wave modules. When I see that my modules have templates (are defined) on devices.zwave-js.io, it surprised me that it’s not automatically created in HA device UI.
I think best way to gain popularity is to have powerful and easy UI (without loosing current flexibility). Anyway it is also learning curve I guess.

From the docs:

As this integration is still in the early stages there are some important limitations to be aware of.

• Configuration of Z-Wave nodes within the Home Assistant UI is not yet implemented, but a service is available with limited configuration capabilities. If the service doesn’t meet your needs, you will need to use another tool, such as zwavejs2mqtt, to manage device configuration.

I’m sure we all would have liked to have 100% functionality from day one. :slight_smile: The zwave_js integration has only existed for a few months now. It will take some time for more functionality to be implemented since much of the work is done by volunteers in their spare time. If you need more functionality at this time, use zwavejs2mqtt as recommended.

BTW, the 2021.4 release has new configuration parameter functionality in the UI.

I fully understand. I’m not complaining. It’s just caught me by surprise as zwave modules today are usually more complete UI wise. For now it all works well for me. I managed to configure my devices using automation and call service. Works great.
By the end of the year I’ll starting up automation in my new “smart” house.
Initially I planned to upgrade one of my fibaro HC2 to HC3 (because zigbee, 433, etc…). But it costs few hundred bucks and most of this hardware is not usable (yet…). Development is slow.

So I decided to try new things and HA is getting all the buzz nowadays ;]

In case anyone else lands here via web searches, instructions can be found in this discussion:

Z-Wave JS - how to reset accumulated values

1 Like