Resize lovelace cards?

why must they be so small?

resources:
  - url: /local/custom-lovelace/upcoming-media-card/upcoming-media-card.js?v=0.2.2
    type: js
  - url: /local/custom_ui/card-modder.js
    type: module
  - url: /local/custom_ui/weather-card.js
    type: js
  - url: /local/custom_ui/mini-media-player.js?v=0.9.2
    type: module
name: Kingia Castle
views:
  - id: 0  # Automatically created id
    icon: mdi:castle
    name: Home
    cards:
      - type: horizontal-stack
        cards:        
          - type: custom:weather-card
            entity_weather: weather.yweather
            entity_sun: sun.sun   
          - type: picture-entity
            entity: camera.front_door
            camera_image: camera.front_door

Hi, good question!
Some Lovelace card have an adjustable height. By nature all cards have the same width. I haven’t seen it differently.

Try panel: true

1 Like

it looks like its merged into one stack, how can i get it into its own column?

use 2 vertical stacks.

I enthusiastically began working with HA, expecting the very best experience.
Now I see that Cards cannot be resized, moved around, or formatted like one would expect from any decent piece of software written for a 2019 audience!?!
Is this really the case?? Or am I just confused/lost? I find it hard to believe that anyone would release a software with on-screen elements that cannot be easily moved around, organized, scaled etc by the use of a mouse? How hard can it be?

They can’t because they auto format based on the screen they are viewed on. Because a desktop looking at a card is different than a phone looking at a card. So there is a series of rules to make sure the UI doesn’t look like trash on one or the other.

Example: On my desktop

Phone:

@petro, thanks for answering, and showing your screen layout. Does this mean that you (and all the rest) don’t see the need to resize and place cards on fixed positions?
The up/down arrows used to relocate cards, seems to me very 1980. Each time I add a card, or try to move it, everything else jumps around, apparently like random.

it’s not random. The software tries to minimize vertical scrolling while maintaining all objects on screen. So it moves things around to get all cards in view with the smallest vertical scrolling. So if something has Y space in column 3 to hold the card, that card will go in column 3.

As for the moving things around, I haven’t used the new GUI editor. I doubt moving things will actually affect the position in the UI though knowing the algorithm. It most likely moves it in side the configuration file. But that could have changed with the new GUI editor.

EDIT: I’d be willing to bet the order only affects HA when you have a single column. So resize your browser w/ a single column to see the effect.

Look at this picture of my screen - taken from a high-res Dell monitor:

(I scrambled som parts just for privacy)
See the far right column, it extends at least down into my basement!!
I tried everything in my mind to bring those off-screen cards into the free space, but to no avail.

It’s because they are media players and can expand to host video. If you don’t plan on using them as a media player, hide the entities and only expose what you want to use, I.E. the power putton, things of that nature.

Also, do you have those media players in a single vertical stack?

I certainly plan on using them as media players. I know no other way. Mind you, I am a newbee to HA. What you’re getting into now, is beyond me (yet). How do I know if “I have those media players in a single vertical stack” or not? Are you referring to the order in which they are listed in the YML file?

Sorry, went to the gym.

So, How are you configuring your stuff? Is through the GUI for lovelace?

That’s ok, I appreciate your support :slight_smile:
Yes, I use the GUI until I get stuck. Then I continue directly editing the YML and Conf files until I get completely lost.

3 Likes