[Resolved] Zombie official zwave-js addon

Hi all,

Have anyone faced a problem that after an initial installation and running of new ZWave JS solution (integration + official z-wave js addon), this addon became a real zombie? I decided to stop it temporarly and check zwavejs-to-mqtt addon to see the config values, that currently are unavailable in ordinary solution. But the official Z-Wave JS addon:

1. starts by itself when stopped
  2. restarts by itself even when “start on boot” and “watchdog” settings are turned off, and
  3. RE-DOWNLOADS AND STARTS ITSELF IF UNINSTALLED

Even if the running integration do all this things via supervisor, I think this is not a correct way. If such behavior is a part of integration config, then it should be clearly disclosed in the documentation and on integration config screen, and of course it should be a possibility to amend such behavior.

Now these two addons fights for access to the stick, and the first one who locks it wins. It allows to works ahead with this alpha-stage interesting solution, but…

5 Likes

Hi, have the same result after update to latest version.
Still waiting for a solution

Fixing this was a mess. I had to back up the files in the .storage directory (core_entities, core_devices, etc). I then uninstalled the integration and the add-on. Restart. Reinstall the Integration (and do not select the option to use the add-on). Then restore the files you backed up in the .storage directory so you have your entities back.

Thank you for the solution! However it seems like not easy to backup .storage folder on HASS installation, maybe it will be possible via integrated backups but I am not sure.

Following your story, it seems like when integration during its setup received a checkbox “use official addon”, then it installs it by itself if not installed, and keeps it running even if stopped. I think it was made to help novice user (user install integration - integration installs and make setup of the addon), however in fact it is completely weird without option to change setup.

Will try to reach .storage directory on my HASS system somehow and just try to change the option for the integration, hope it helps.

You don’t need to backup the whole directory. I just SSH’ed in, went to the homeassistant/.storage directory and did something to the effect of

sudo cp core.entity_registry core.entity_registry1
sudo cp core.device_registry core.device_registry1

After uninstalling the integration, restarting, reinstalling the integration (and not checking that use add-on option), I just did the reverse of that cp command and restarted once more.

Like I said, it was a mess to fix. Perhaps there might be another way but I didn’t find it.

1 Like

Hi Brandon, I’ve found what to do. In .storage/core.config_entries, look to “doman”: “zwave_js” block of settings, and there change “use_addon” to false.

For a few hours, zombie is dead :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I tried that but it still came back when I restarted. Perhaps I messed something up though. Much easier this way; thanks for sharing!

This was my resolution to the same issue as well.

Thanks for this! This helped me to get rid of the zombie add-on that I don’t use. :slight_smile: