Resolving hassio.local

Hi,
I’m having problems resolving hassio.local and am having to access hass via its IP address. I’d like to sort this out and am hoping someone can point me in the right direction…

I suspect it’s down to my network setup, which I’ll explain now. Atm, all of my devices (wired ot wireless) are connected to a single network segment on a LAN switch. Sitting in front of the switch is my gateway router which I use to manage security etc. And in front of that is the ISP’s gateway router. Unfortunately, the ISP doesn’t permit running the gateway in modem mode so, amongst other things, I’m using static NAT and port forwarding so that inbound traffic hits my local gatway device.

My suspicion is that it is the arrangement described above which is causing issues here, i.e. I need to forward one or more ports. So, can someone explain to me what I need to do to get hassio.local to resolve properly? I can’t change my topology but I would expect I can enable the tarffic to be forwarded properly with the right info?

Regards,
David

Addresses ending in .local are not resolved by DNS but with multicast protocols like Avahi or Bonjour. In my experience sometimes they work, sometimes don’t because of the different OS used to handle the request.

I see. I’m using the resinos image recommended for raspberry pi 3 so it “should” work?

It’s not the server side (the pi) that has to “work”. It’s the clients. Your desktops/laptops

1 Like

If it works fine using the pi’s IP, why worry? Using hassio.local doesn’t give you anything extra.

1 Like

Understood. However, I use dhcp and so IP addresses are ephemeral. I can pin IPs but having name resolution working would be a nicer solution

As @flamingm0e explained that’s never going to happen so just give it a reserved IP and forget about it :slight_smile:

Many HA components do not “understand” .local at all, it seems, and so can’t even “see” the HA host.local. For example, I have deCONZ running in a docker container on the same server I am running HA. The deCONZ component forces the expectation of using numeric IP address. Additionally, it won’t even allow localhost or 127.0.0.1. So, while the HA host is running on DHCP provided IP many components may connect initially, using the current numerical IP, but drop the connection when DHCP changes the IP of the host. For reasons of my one I have been avoiding the static IP approach. Gosh my we browser into the apps running on my host, MobaXterm etc. all understand .local and have no problem maintaining connection via .local. So, there needs to be a .local approach for HA components so that the system is more resiliant.