REST API command/platform fails on POST to external URL (solcast)

Hi @smdx, the three values are attributes (tomorrow, the day after tomorrow and the day after the day after tomorrow).

If you want to view/display/use them individually, the best way would be to create a template sensor based on each attribute.

For example (note I haven’t actually tested this, as I don’t use the forecast):

sensor:
  -  platform: template
     sensors:
       solcast_day_after_tomorrow:
         friendly_name: "Day after tomorrow's forecast solar production"
         unit_of_measurement: "kWh"
         value_template: "{{ state_attr('sensor.solcast_forecast', 'the day after tomorrow') }}"

Thanks. all fine now :slight_smile:

Hi All

I have had solcast working for sometime, have the forecast graphs etc and my stats have been uploading for some time

If I goto https://api.solcast.com.au/rooftop_sites/XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX/measurements it only seem to show the last months and no further back but I have been uploading since december

Any idea how long this page should show and possibly why my system is not showing as tuned?

I have logged a ticket with support and they said they would look at and not come back yet. Logged another ticket today

It seems to give me the latest 1000 entries when I look at that page (I queried with ?format=json on the end). I’m not sure how to tell it to show older entries - either giving a date range or page number - I couldn’t see any documentation about it.

I think I’ve been sending since the mid to end of December. Mine isn’t showing as tuned either, but I’d assumed that was probably due to them needing a lot of data, especially this time of year (in Northern hemisphere at least) with the sun so low in the sky - so possibly more shading issues - my system has more shading this time of year than it will soon, once the sun starts getting above the top of the trees. And that is changing day by day as the sun gets higher and higher now.

@matthewjporter did you hear anything back from Solcast?

I’ve just seen the following when logging on to their site:

Thanks for using the API Toolkit! We wanted to let you know that we have decommissioned PV Tuning for hobbyist users.

You will no longer be able to POST PV measurements to the Solcast API. However, we are offering you the capability to add a 2nd rooftop site to your account. This 2nd site must be at the same location, and is only meant to help you accurately forecast for split array systems.

Simply reply to this message if you’d like to access your 2nd site for free.

Happy solar forecasting!

Somewhat frustrating, as I only have a single direction array, but have a lot of tree impact in winter - fine when the sun is higher later in the year though, that I was hoping this would compensate for.

Interesting… I wonder if they are phasing out, or grandfathering existing setups - I don’t see that message when logging in, and my tuning still seems to be operational (last upload 4 minutes ago).

I got the same message yesterday on their site. :unamused:

For info my account is one of the slightly older ones that still allows for 20 API calls / day. So I assume they are stopping POST for all.

That is weird - I’m probably similar era (I have the 20 free API calls) - my “Tuned Date” (presumably when I first tuned) is May 2020.

Yep, I got the same message

Good job I have two roofs but annoying non the less

Same message here, I’m also on one of the older accounts.

It is a pity, the tuning definitely made a massive difference in my setup (which is split setup but with the tuning it wasn’t necessary to do 2 sites). Before the tuning kicked in, their model predicted much higher than I actually got, so will have to “tune” it manually I guess…

I wonder if the existing tuning will continue to apply, or will it literally revert back to the old model?

I have a “new” account and have the same warning…

So I haven’t migrated my stuff over to a split, 2 Solcast-site setup yet, and I was still posting PV tuning data.

I did notice this morning that I seem to be getting HTTP 400 errors on the posted data, and also while it still shows PV Tuning params on Solcast’s dashboards, my accuracy data seems to have no data points the last day or so.

I’m guessing this is it and that they’ve stopped the tuning now?

Got this from them: “Tuned” Rooftop Sites After PV Tuning Discontinued | Solcast - Help Center

Not going to shout too loudly, but mine is still working. It currently shows “Last measurement: 37 mins ago” and the graph looks normal!

Strange as that link says its turned off for all!

Just setting up solcast with hassio through the pluggin. Curious how are people practically using this information for any automations?

For example i was thinking if my actuals deviated by > x% from the estimate it could alert me to a potential problem in the system…

My main use is just to graph predicted vs actual to keep an eye on deviations.

1 Like

I use the following day forecast to decide wheter to charge the battery during the night or not

1 Like

Hi Guys!

Thanks for the component @dannerph !
I’m receiving steady history and forecast values.

However i only manage to see the total kWh forecast for tomorrow/day after

Is it possible to access the 30 min forecast provided by the API ?

0.1526,0.0198,0.3919,2021-04-19T05:30:00Z,PT30M
0.3169,0.0395,0.9948,2021-04-19T06:00:00Z,PT30M
0.6305,0.0631,1.6194,2021-04-19T06:30:00Z,PT30M
0.9653,0.0873,2.2339,2021-04-19T07:00:00Z,PT30M
1.2698,0.1097,2.775,2021-04-19T07:30:00Z,PT30M

That would really be beneficial for my home power consumption optimization (for example switch on heat pump long term or rather use the heating coils)

Thanks a lot!

I’m pretty new to Home Assistant, just trying to get this set up to get some idea of solar prediction for next day.

I’ve installed this and configured it as far as I’m aware but I am getting this error in my log:

"Solcast entities not yet registered, try again next day"

I can see its hit the API as the count has increased, if I try the call manually using the URL they show on Solcast it returns me data.

Any ideas what to look at?

Nevermind, after a second reboot of HassOS it seems to be alive now. Now I just need to try and configure a second instance as I have two arrays, East and West facing and want a total.

Can anyone help me with the SolCast custom component please?

I’ve left it running for a few days and:
The 3 day forecast is received OK, however the forecast history runs when HA is restart, but than stops.
The API count does not reduce below 49.
Looking in the log, the only error I can see with Solcast mentioned is as below. As the component is calling for sunrise information I’ve checked, my sun.sun state and that appears to be working?

2021-05-09 05:18:54 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant] Error doing job: Exception in callback async_track_point_in_utc_time.<locals>.run_action(<Job HassJobT...e98a33a4c0>)>>) at /usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/event.py:1176
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/asyncio/events.py", line 81, in _run
    self._context.run(self._callback, *self._args)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/event.py", line 1195, in run_action
    hass.async_run_hass_job(job, utc_point_in_time)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 424, in async_run_hass_job
    hassjob.target(*args)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/event.py", line 1317, in _handle_sun_event
    self.hass.async_run_hass_job(self.job)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 424, in async_run_hass_job
    hassjob.target(*args)
  File "/config/custom_components/solcast/__init__.py", line 237, in sunrise_call_action
    next_setting = get_location_astral_event_next(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/sun.py", line 84, in get_location_astral_event_next
    getattr(location, event)(
TypeError: getattr(): attribute name must be string