REST API not working correctly on Z-wave devices

Hi Guys,

I hope you can help me out. Its driving me nuts. Spending already 2 days solving this.

I have many z-wave dimmers added into homeassistant.
They appear in 2 ways in the overview menu. As a switch and as a light item.
Now I try to use the API to turn them off and on but It seems that the command is correctly accepted by HA but I get a 404 that the entity can not be found.

For example, I have a z-wave dimmer and I named it ‘1e_boekenwand_m’

It appears in the overview as to items, light and switch. When I click on them I get:

Light:
node id 16
value id some long number
new entity id: light.1e_boekenwand_m_level
old entity id: light.1e_boekenwand_m_level_16_0

Switch:
node id 16
value id some long number
new identity id: switch.1e_boekenwand_m_switch
old identity id: switch.1e_boekenwand_m_switch_16_0

Now I want to use the API to switch them on and off but I cant get it to work.

I use for instance
wget -O - ‘http://192.168.0.171:8123/api/states/switch.1e_boekenwand_m_switch_16_0?api_password=secret

or
wget -O - ‘http://192.168.0.171:8123/api/states/switch.1e_boekenwand_m_switch?api_password=secret

but all I get is
018-09-07 10:25:19 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Also both light entity’s don’t work. Whichever entity I tried I always get the 404 error.

I do have another light entry which I manually added ‘switch.zoutlamp’ and that one works perfectly through the API but that one is not a z-wave device.
wget -O - 192.168.0.171:8123/api/states/switch.zoutlamp?api_password=secret’ --2018-09-07 14:04:36–
Connecting to 192.168.0.171:8123… connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response… 200 OK
Length: 197 [application/json]
Saving to: ‘STDOUT’

•                           0%[                                                ]       0  --.-KB/s               {"attributes": {"friendly_name": "zoutlamp"}, "entity_id": "switch.zoutlamp", "last_changed": "2018-09-06T19:42:54.1471-                             100%[===============================================>]     197  --.-KB/s    in 0s

2018-09-07 14:04:36 (23.4 MB/s) - written to stdout [197/197]

Does somebody know how to address these dimmers through the API? I am lost!

Cheers

Maarten

Hi there,
Take a look at this section of the API docs: https://developers.home-assistant.io/docs/en/external_api_rest.html#post-api-services-lt-domain-lt-service

It looks like your request is missing the data portion that tells the switch what to do, so you’re just getting back the current information on the switch as a result.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Brett.

Please read my post carefully. The issue is not turning it on or of or status, the device is not recognized at all. While reading status or turn it on or off. The issue is how to adress the zwave devices correctly through the API. I know how to read status or to switch on or of.
General question actually how to adress zwave dimmers throught he API.
If this answer can be answered it would be great.

Greetings
Maarten