Restart has stopped working, with no errors in the logs

I’m using Home Assistant Core 2022.10.5, although I’ve had this problem for the last few months, not certain what version it started on.

When I click Restart under the Check and Restart section of the Developer Tools, it never successfully restarts. If I check the logs, I see some messages about shutting down, and if I run ps aux | grep homeassistant on the server I see the process stops, but it never starts back up, and I don’t see any errors anywhere. I’ve waited 10 minutes and it doesn’t start back up. If I manually restart the server with shutdown -r now it starts up fine. It’s annoying to have to restart the entire server every time though, as I have unrelated things running on there.

I can post full logs if it would be helpful, but here’s an abridged version of the debug logs which shows it starting to shutdown, and oddly continuing to output logs up to a minute after the shutdown request, but then no more logs after that. There were no ERROR logs, and none of the WARNINGS seem relevant.

2022-11-01 01:35:45.582 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Bus:Handling <Event call_service[L]: domain=homeassistant, service=restart, service_data=>
2022-11-01 01:35:45.638 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Bus:Handling <Event homeassistant_stop[L]>
2022-11-01 01:36:45.645 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Bus:Handling <Event homeassistant_final_write[L]>
2022-11-01 01:36:45.685 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Bus:Handling <Event homeassistant_close[L]>

Anything in the log before your restart?

Try to share more info about your system… Installation and hardware types, RAM consumption, etc…

No errors that look relevant to me in the logs.

My install is Home Assistant Core installed with pip on an old Intel PC. Should be more than enough to run HA, RAM usage in the last week peaked around 32%. I’m also running Plex on this server, but they’ve been happily running together for years.