Restore backup needs internet connection?!

Hi,

i just wanted to restore a backup because i corrupted my db file.
HA does not have an internet connection, and now the restore job refuses to work because of

INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.jobs] 'BackupManager.do_restore_full' blocked from execution, no supervisor internet connection

Why the hack does a restore job need an internet connection? :smiley:

Thanks in advance

1 Like

I just ran into the same problem. How can HA claim to be ā€œlocalā€ when you have to have an internet connection to restore a local backup file? This is crap.

2 Likes

Experienced the same surprise today. Looking to restore a backup iā€™ve copied to a machine without network access.

1 Like

I had the same issue 2 weeks ago. Full internal network available but no internet and restore does not even start.

Also worth to mention that if you want to configure MariaDB you canā€™t make it without opening the internet because it tries to check the password against the HaveIBeenPwned database. Not very privacy friendly to send your password, even if itā€™s hashed, to any service. Itā€™s good to block the internet, so you know what shit is happening in the background

has this been fixed ? does anyone know how to restore a backup without internet.
i need to restore to a new server without the old one knowing about it until i switch them over.

Just hit this issue last night after a power outage that took out the internet connection. When HA restarted NodeRed went into a reboot loop and I wanted to downgrade it to the last version, but due to no internet and this enforced restore condition (which suprises me for privacy reasons) I could not restore and thus lost all control of my house as I run nearly everything via MQTT, ZW and NodeRed. I went back to sleep and manually turned the lights and heating off. An option to disable or override this requirement from the command line (a bit like auto patching defeat) would be appreciated.

Would also be interested if itā€™s still a thingā€¦
Should we file an issue on github?

1 Like

I will try to make a FR this week, a CLI option is all that is required, in IMHO:

I am going to suggest -n --nointernet

1 Like

Yup, this is apparently still a thing with the current latest HAOS version including all HA components up-to-date.

• Core 2024.3.3
  • Supervisor 2024.03.0
  • Operating System 12.1
  • Frontend 20240307.0

Once you temporarily resore internet connection, youā€™ll need to reboot HAOS I guess due to caching issues.

This whole restriction is defeating the purpose of having a fully local only instance for a smart home, also questions how much tight control do we even have over our own smart home.

I think it needs the time from an NTP server.

2 Likes

Good comment! :+1:

Makes sense for rPi, although Iā€™m using an x64 PC which has RTC. The errmsg still wrong not stating the actual reason needing internet leading to potential misunderstanding.

Iā€™m having the same issue trying to do a test restore in an isolated network.