Restrictions of supervised installation

So I started off trying to run a Hyper-V installation and was having issues connecting.
That aside (I’ll figure it out later. Just need to run a few lines) I realized it had hardware limitations and I was going to be switching to a linux distro anyway.
The computer is currently a Plex server and runs RCON apps for my game servers, so it’s not really used for much else.
Switching to a linux distro will allow me to run a lot more with little CPU/RAM consumption compared to a M$ build.

After reading what’s required, I have one question.
And it’s probably silly, I’m a bit rusty.
It’s been a while since I’ve sat behind the terminal.
But I have to ask to avoid getting keycap impressions on my forehead later down the road.

Does the installation have to be pure debian, or can I use something like peppermint or MX?

There might be dependency’s issue but supervised is just some dockers containers and a backend API to manage the host (it can work on unsupported OS).

Supervised is after all intended to be on a dedicated OS, if you want to run Home Assistant anywhere you can use Home Assistant Core and manage the others containers manually

Oh. Okay.
I misunderstood the base of the installation entirely then.
So supervised is just HassOS under another OS?
In the end I may as well just install the OS and call it a day?

Edit:Incorrect punctuation and forgot edit tag.

A supervised installation can technically be installed on any Linux OS.

the issue is the limitations that the developers have put on a Supervised install.

according to “the rules” the install can only be put on a Debian OS host and nothing can be running on the same machine that is not managed by the Supervisor.

So that leaves only add-ons installed by the Supervisor.

If you don’t follow “the rules” then best case is that your installation is unsupported. Which sounds more ominous than it really is. It just means you won’t get any support thru any official channels (discord or github). Plenty of people will still help you on the forum tho so it’s not a big deal really.

worst case your install becomes “unhealthy” which means that HA will block you from updating anything and you can’t install any other add-ons.

My advice is just save the trouble and go with a HA Container install.

you have total control over the OS and HA and can install anything supported by the OS.

the only downside is you need to learn Docker. It’s not that hard once you get a bit of experience with it.

And there are people here that can help you with that too if you get stuck. :raising_hand_man:

From my point of view it’s easier than setting up a supervised instance.

But the advantage is that we can forget about updating containers, it’s managed by HA.

You can still run RCON beside HA Supervised and having Plex In an Add On, but the migration process would be time consuming

Running HA core only will let the opportunity to migrate the installation later by using the backup system, if there’s a need you can migrate later on

Not everything is updated by HA automatically (and IMHO it should never do it - but that’s another thread…) so that’s not necessarily an advantage.

I use Portainer to manage/update my containers so it’s pretty much a three click process.